Life Expectancy of CPU cooling

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by ariyamusafir, Jan 17, 2007.

1. ariyamusafir

ariyamusafir Newbie

Hello, just want to know, we see that many non-original cpu cooling fans have life expectancy for about 30000 hrs to 50000 hrs. Well, what about original cooling fans? I mean example, if Pentium 4 478, we use original Pentium 4 478 fans provided by Intel themselves.

Just want to make analysis base on such on which one is better rather then taking efficiency alone to compare.

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Er...no one can answer you this.

It's like asking which Proton car can last longer. Mean time between failure (MTBF) is just a rough estimation. The life of the fan depends on the quality, material used, environment etc. No one can tell you how long it's going to last. General consensus is that Intel coolers should last longer because of the use of quality fans, usually made in Japan.

If you use third party fans, you should look for double ball bearing as they should last longer, but noisier.

3. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

yeapz, intel use high quality fans

usually made by sanyo denki & etc.

4. ariyamusafir

ariyamusafir Newbie

meaning to say that when we buy those expansive fans costing about RM200 from vendors like cooler master etc, their life EXpectancy is less then intel (normally)????

WOW, better stick to my fan.

5. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Hmmm not really. I haven't had fans die yet (except the ones that I busted the bearings on by pressing em accidently while packing em... :doh: )

My Tt smart case fan two still works. So does my crazy Ys Tech fan. Both are over two years old... :D Just get fans made by good manufacturers and you can't go wrong. I like Sunon, Ys Tech, Delta ( :drool: ) to name a few... :D

6. Chai

Doesn't matter to me, because most of my fan last for more than 5 years, by that time, I would have upgraded my processor. I seldom face fan failures even for those non-crucial case fans. And I leave my PC on 24/7, any fan failures would potentially crash my system due to overheat.

7. ariyamusafir

ariyamusafir Newbie

before I close, I thought Intel CPU fans are made in China?

8. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Nope. So far, all their fans seem to be made in Japan, by Sanyo Denki. Been so for ages. :think:

But it's not that third-party fans are lousier. It depends on the quality of the fan you buy.

If you buy cheap brand-less fans, you cannot expect them to last forever, right? But if you go for quality fans from the likes of Sunon, Zalman, YS Tech, Delta, etc., they will serve you well.

9. jamotto

jamotto Newbie

I've had one case fan (sleeve bearing) that's been running for 8+ years. Chai really hit the nail on the head with...

Environment can have a big influence on life span of a fan, even the orientation can change how long a fan will run for. The sleeve bearing based fans are a good example of this, these kinds of fans work best in a vertical position (standing up).

10. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Is that right? :think:
    @ the thread starter...if it makes you feel any better, you can get a fan with rpm monitoring and connect it to your motherboard (coupled with some monitoring software), so if the fan ever fails, you'll know about it straightaway :mrgreen:

11. ariyamusafir

ariyamusafir Newbie

actually, me really wondering if my cpu fan original is good enough for me not to change, after all, the noise is louder then before. Well, me rough gamer and me want a fan that can last longer then my intel fan if I am to change. Thanks.

Now at least I get good info on my upcoming decision on my pc.

12. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Well, most of the time, people change fans for better performance or when their original fan dies. I don't think you need to change your fan just to "play safe". :think:

13. ariyamusafir

ariyamusafir Newbie

hahahahaha.... ok dokie. got it.

14. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

IMO the sink plays a more important role than the fan.

just the other day, i opened my 2ndary rig to find out my CPU fan wasn't running. :) fortunately it was on a Sempron64 2800+ (nice cool processor) and the heatsink was a Thermalright XP-120!!

hehe. even now my Athlon64 2800+ OCed F@H 24/7 is running fanless. even if the exhaust fan fails, at least the PSU fan still keep things going.

15. jamotto

jamotto Newbie

The lack of preloading in a sleeve bearing is the reason it is not a good idea to mount such fans horizontally.

16. Chai

But most fans are mounted vertically, isn't it?

17. jamotto

jamotto Newbie

Yes, most fans are mounted vertically.