Life Span of O/C Processors

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by rocketmen2k5, Apr 30, 2006.

1. rocketmen2k5

rocketmen2k5 Newbie

Is the processor life span shortened by O/C'ing the processor?
    It would stand to reason that it would because of generating more heat than under non o/c'ing conditions.
    Thanks,
    Matt

2. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

That's what aftermarket cooling is for ;)

3. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Well there's a few things you should take into consideration.

CPUs become obsolete within 2 years anyways eventhough AMD/Intel warranties them for longer.

As long as you don't overvolt too high and keep temperatures within a safe level, I don't see any problems with lifespan. In fact, I have a P4 2.0A (from 2001) OC'd to 2.7GHz that is still running at those settings... :mrgreen:

4. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

it would definitely reduce the lifespan if it is not being properly cooled...

i don't think many people will give a damn abt lifespan when we are changing computers every now & then...

5. Kalo

Kalo Newbie

These guys all make great points: the warranties, switching due to upgrades, and aftermarket cooling. I recommend overclocking...but make sure you aren't planning on keeping the pc forever. :)

6. How would you rate your P4 now? Can it still keep up with existing programs and windows? :wicked:

7. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Well my cousin is using it now in Malaysia. So I would have no idea.. :p It was already getting slow for me when I gave it to my cousin... :D I'm VERY demanding of my hardware.. :p

8. SAMSAMHA

SAMSAMHA Newbie

overclock does shorten the lifespam of the cpu since you overheat the cpu. however, most cpu will last probably like 10 years or so during normal use, but the truth is that most system over like 4-5 years will be a tad slower and can't keep up with the high demand of newer software (of course, unless youc an stand the sluggishness, heck I still got a p3 system in the house).

As long as oc is done right, it's safe and a bit of speed gaining. With aftermarket cooling , it helps prolong the life (not ot mention keep the cpu cool and quieter).

9. rogue_tomato

rogue_tomato Newbie

SAMSAMHA's absolutely right ;) voltage is also another thing to keep an eye on... too much juice can fry you CPU as well, it can only take so much before it dies...

10. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

well, human wants are forever unlimited,
    yet resources are limited...

11. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Principle of Economics.

Yet, I don't see how that applies to the discussion... :think:

Like I said, it won't hurt your hardware as long as you keep the voltage to reasonable limits (+0.3v from stock is a rule of thumb) and you keep your load temps down (i personally keep things below 60C) and it will last as long as it's still useful... :D

12. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

PsYkHoTiK is the example that supports the principle.. lol

ok, not much I can do with controlling temperature of notebook..
    the temperature sensors doesn't work with NHC..

13. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Personally I think +0.3V is really pushing it :shock:

14. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Well I try not to approach that limit. But I will go close to get what I want (unless it outweighs it.) :mrgreen:

Plus, the Economic problem applies to all, not just me. Nor does it have relevence to the titled thread. :D

15. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I think 15% increase formula is more valid.

16. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

okok, just kidding ok?

17. werty316

werty316 Newbie

If you OC using stock voltages then the lifespan would be reduced as much if you increased the voltage and OC. I OC as high as I can go at stick voltages. Good cooling helps to reduce the life span. Basically if you run a cpu at 1.4V 24/7 and nother at 1.7V 24/7, and 1.7V cpu will die first most likely.

18. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Yea I guess it is. :p I think mine is just slightly over though... :shifty: I keep it that way coz I push the ram as well. Mine does 2.6GHz on stock volts (24hour prime stable.)

@ ChampionLLY: It's all good. :mrgreen:

19. m0dD3r

m0dD3r Newbie

Meh, I've always wondered about this question too. I am happy with my 2.6C cuz it overclocked to 3.25Ghz 250FSB on stock voltage. With a slight increase of like 0.1V I can get 3.4Ghz stable but since I don't have anything above PC3200 RAM wise that's kinda pointless and hard to do. About the topic, my computer along 4 of my friends computers have been going strong for almost 3 years with overclocked systems and I see no problems as long as the OC'ing is done the right way and kept under control.

1 person likes this.
  20. ice_water

ice_water Newbie

I think it is bad logic that overclocking always decreases the lifetime of a CPU. According to the logic, if I run a CPU at 2 GHZ and then overclock it to 2.1 GHZ then the lifetime will be less. I instead disagree with that logic. I believe it works differently, and that there is a "threshold" at which the lifetime is decreased, otherwise it has no effect. The trick when overclocking is to be smart and to not go to an extreme, so you experience all the benefits of a faster system without decreasing the lifespan of your CPU.

1 person likes this.