Life Span of O/C Processors

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by rocketmen2k5, Apr 30, 2006.

1. This may sound like a stupid question but is there any way of measuring the decrease of the life of a processor? :nuts: :haha:

I mean, how do we truly know if a failure of a processor is the result of OCing even if good measures have been taken in to protect the processor? :think:

2. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

i dun think its a stupid question..

u might be able to estimate, but not calculate...

hmm, so far i have never came across a "failed processor" before

3. werty316

werty316 Newbie

Having the CPU voltage too high and improper cooling is a big factor.

4. I think someone should invent a gadget tha could measure "depreciation" as accountants would define it. :rolleyes:

That would surely be a handy tool. :thumb:

5. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

it will definitely be using "estimated useful life" method...

u just simply cant "straight line" or "reducing balance" it away =P

6. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Oh noes, accounting :faint:

I doubt there's a reliable way to calculate the lifespan of a CPU though. Well...maybe with some $100,000 equipment but probably not with a simple piece of software. Take those utilities that estimate your hard drive health...I doubt their accuracy. :think:

7. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Why would you want to measure the remaining life of your cpu? :think:

If it's dead, you'll have to buy a new one. So, wait for it to die to buy a new one. eg. If you were given a choice, do you want to know when you'll die? Or it's better left as it is?

I like surprises... :mrgreen: If I were to know when I'll die, life would not be that fun anymore... you might live the rest of your life knowing you won't have much time. That's just my 2cents and *touch wood*. :lol:

I'm way off topic... sorry.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Kalo

Kalo Newbie

Two cents rejected! :D If you knew when you were going to die you might also live the rest of your life enjoying the very things that make life worth living. You know what I mean: hard drives filled with pr0n, 10ghz AMD 64bit processor with nitrogen cooling, ownage unbelievable 9900XTPROGTX, 1337 DDR20 PC99000, etc. :D

Surprises = good when they are things that bring you joy, not things that make life worse...like a processor dying. :p As far as death is concerned...how can one calculate the future unknowns? :o I mean without a time machine. :D

9. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

*searching pockets for more coins, found none*

Ok, that's all from me today. :shifty:

*went searching for 1 cent coins...* :mrgreen:

Ok, this one is free. :D

What if you found out that your cpu has 4 more hours to live? Will you do all your work in that 4 hours and treasure every minute? What if the cpu decided it has enough and give up early? :haha:

Ok, seriously... back to topic.

If we have something that can measure a CPU's remaining lifespan, say.. you O/C it and got 2 years our of the default 5 years. So, you only have 3 years left. Will you continue to o/c? Of course...!!! Or else you'll lose all the fun and the extra speed gained in that 3 years. Imagine how that extra speed will save your time in that 3 'long' years. :mrgreen:

So, in the end, what's the point of measuring the lifespan of your CPU? You surely know it will not give up so soon even after o/c. So, still I don't see the point in knowing. :think:

Ok, gotta go home now, please shoot. :)

Last edited: May 4, 2006
  10. You have a good point, dashkie. :thumb:

And anyway, I was just wondering. :p :haha: :haha: :haha:

11. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

I wouldnt quite agree with what you said...

I think people would like to know the remaining life of their hardware. You dont wanna be in a situation where you're rushing an important project in the middle of the nite & all of a sudden, *zap*, your processor drop dead... & bye bye to your job...

12. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

But it's so much more likely that something other than the CPU will fail. Power supply, whether it's the PC's unit or the actual electricity (or have I been living in Perth with its 3rd world power supply for too long :nuts: ), hard drive, RAM, OS/software-generated error, etc etc etc.

13. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Exactly. Anything can fail at anything. If we can predict such things, there won't be beggars.

Seriously, if it dies after say 3 years (warranty period for both Intel and AMD if I'm not mistaken), it's time to get a new one. Just imagine how slow the processors were 3 years ago... My current company has a policy of "must change your computer in 3-4 years". Excellent!

14. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

But cpu rarely dies. Even my Pentium 2 266Ghz would be running now if the mobo didn't go first. :mrgreen:

Last edited: May 5, 2006
  15. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

hmm, i guess its becoz ppl are changing hardware so frequently like every 1~5years that it doesnt have a chance to "die"

16. True. And I feel that it's not really efficient because you're not able to use it to its full life. :|

17. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Well you never know.. Some people have had CPUs dying on them.. :D

18. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

yeah... & its a hobby to overclock... =P

19. sherwin

sherwin Newbie

I still have a Pentium 3 550E running at 806 Mhz.. o/ced it since day 1 back in early 2000 and it still is running fine till today :D

My previous Athlon XP 1800's died just after 3 years of use (stock speed)

Last edited: May 6, 2006
  20. :wicked: