Lower your load temps: minimize your vcore

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by graysky, Aug 19, 2007.

1. graysky

graysky ARP Reviewer

Sounds pretty simple, but you'd be surprised how many people don't know about how much vcore can affect your load temps. Temp and frequency (FSB) have a linear relationship whereas temp and voltage have an exponential relationship. Conclusion: minimize voltage.

Here is a link to a now missing Intel document that helps explain it on page 31.

Same thing holds true for speed in a car: energy = 0.5mv^2 where m is mass and v is velocity. This is the basis of the old expression, "speed kills." You generate way more energy driving 75 MPH than you do driving 55 MPH since energy and velocity have an exponential relationship.

Anyway, to test how low you can go, simply manually set your vcore for something low. I started @ 1.2375 for my Q6600 running @ 9x333. If you can boot into windows load up a couple instances of orthos. If you prefer, use prime95 v 25.x which does it all in one instance.

If using orthos, and you have a quad, make sure you set the CPU affinity such that one of the orthos gets cores 0 and 1 and the other gets cores 2 and 3. Let em run for a while. If the vcore is too low, one or both will give an error message. Orthos checks e when for rounding errors that can occur when the system isn't stable due to vcore, or temp, etc. Using a vcore of 1.2375v for my system gave an error pretty quickly:

[​IMG]

If you don't get an error after say, 30 min, lower the vcore in the BIOS and repeat until you do get an error, then start working your way up until you can run them with no errors for a good 6-8 hours. In a nutshell, that's it.

Here is a more detailed analysis of two difference vcore settings and the temps they produce on a Q6600 @ 9x266=2.4 GHz as well as @ 9x333=3.0 GHz. The two voltages I used were 1.112 V and 1.232 V (both of these are the load voltage, the actual BIOS settings were 1.1375V and 1.2625V respectively).

2x orthos ran for 30 minutes and the temperatures were averaged over the last 10 minutes of those runs (well after they stabilized). Room temps was 75-76 °F. Notice that the difference in voltage is ONLY 0.120 V or 120 mV, but this seemingly small difference brought the load temps up by an average of 6-7 °C per core!

Code:
    Run1 (9x266 @ 1.112 V), Average temps (°C): 51,52,50,50
    Run2 (9x266 @ 1.232 V), Average temps (°C): 57,58,57,57
    Differences (°C): +6, +6, +7, +7
    Now if I add a faster FSB, they increased further:

Code:
    Run3 (9x333 @ 1.232 V), Average temps (°C): 61,61,60,60
    Differences from lowest voltage (°C): +10, +9, +10, +10
    Differences from same voltage (°C): +4, +3, +3, +3