Making the switch to AM2

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by Zenphic, May 24, 2006.

?

Switching to AM2?

1. Yes sir! :D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. What? No Way!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Who? What? Uh... what's AM2 anyway?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

Oh well, AM2 was released today, so I was wondering is anyone going to make the switch in the near future? I don't think I will since I am perfectly happy with my current S939 setup. :twisted:

Give us your opinion! :)
    Oh and if you want some AM2 reviews, head on over to http://www.ocia.net/, I've made a post gathering tons of reviews :thumb:

2. Socket 939's still packs a lot of punch and I'll hold on to this for as long as I probably can. :mrgreen: Or maybe until next year. :p

3. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

No point...I'll upgrade at the end of the year. Most likely to a Conroe system, but if K8L turns out to be fantastic then I will consider it.

4. acedriver

acedriver Just Started

I'm moving back to intel

5. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

pointless for me, additional costs for not significant gain in performance - at least based on the way i use.

already on a 2.4ghz (downclocked from 2.5ghz) A64 S754 with 1GB RAM.

will take quite a while before i go AM2. looks like i'll skip S939 altogether.

6. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Same here.

7. SAMSAMHA

SAMSAMHA Newbie

i wish I could but I think i will pass. I think intel has better cpu, but I dont think that I will update yet. Maybe until the next gen of amd after am2.

8. CompactNinja

CompactNinja Newbie

pfft, to me it doesn't matter.. i'm happy with my 3500+.. i don't need DDR2 RAM.... probably cost me another 80 bucks ontop of buying the motherboard and new CPU... to me its just plain pointless..

9. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

hmm..a very bad launch? not much hoohaa not much excitement about it..the performance like 1 to 3% gain doesnt sound good for s939 user

10. goldfries

it's more about the DDR2 and Energy Efficient architecture.

Final Words

And there you have it, quite possibly the most unimpressive launch from AMD (from a performance perspective), but given what we had already seen prior to today there shouldn't be any surprises. The introduction of the Athlon 64 FX-62 means that there is an even faster alternative for those looking to spend as much as possible on a desktop or workstation CPU, but the new 5000+ isn't really all that appealing, especially if you're a gamer.

Socket-AM2 is unfortunately not about performance, and much about bringing a unified memory platform not only to AMD but to the industry as a whole. With all desktop AMD CPUs sharing a single socket end users and OEMs alike will have a much easier job when building AMD systems. On a much more macro scale, with both AMD and Intel using DDR2 memory prices should be driven down even further and switching between platforms will no longer require throwing away your entire memory investment.

The big story with Socket-AM2 is really the introduction of the new Energy Efficient and Energy Efficient Small Form Factor CPUs, but unfortunately those are not yet available. Instead, today's launch ends up being much more about the chipsets being used on AM2 motherboards rather than the CPUs. Later today we will be looking at NVIDIA's nForce 500 series and how the evolution of the most popular AMD chipset has taken to the Socket-AM2 platform.

taken from Anandtech

11. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

lets just see what they will announce next tuesday :mrgreen:

12. CompactNinja

CompactNinja Newbie

exactly... you're going to be spending like

$150 bucks for mobo
    $300 for CPU
    $80+ for RAM
    (sorry i don't really know my prices heh)
    whats the point??!?!?! too much money for too little performance. Maybe people who are still running Athlon XP might consider AM2.. but it's a waste for people with comps on s939.

13. goldfries

as a S754 user - i think it's pointless for S754 users to upgrade to AM2 as well.

even if i were to sell off my current setup to get the AM2 setup, i wouldn't notice the gain. but surely i'll notice a hole in my wallet. :D and some not so ooomph bragging rights.

better off spending that $$$ on a new keyboard or something.

EDITED : oh btw - i'm planning to setup another S754 rig in fact....... ;) so that's going to be the 5th rig at home (not counting notebook) and it'll be the 4th using S754.

14. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

i'm still sticking wif my laptop...
    though i like amd products more than intel, but
    AM2 doesnt look impressive at all...
    unlike P-D805..

15. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

Seems like almost nobody wants to switch to AM2. Still sticking with the old technology now are we? I guess if it's not broken, don't fix it! :thumb:

16. I'm just hoping that the new 65nm process will kick a$$ for AMD! :lol:

17. Fabulous

Fabulous Newbie

man i hope amd 65nm will kick conroe of the market. i'm big fan of amd.

18. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

amd 65nm wont do well. that's for sure :p

19. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

OWNAGE! :mrgreen:

20. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Socket AM2 will only have one special new thing which is called DDR2 support. No architecture change is there.

Intel's new Core series are fun that way - they have a major architectural change and more cache. Maybe I'll get the Core series first if I have the money. :D