Malaysian TmNet StreamYx Optimization Guide

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by Cereberus, May 25, 2003.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Hmm... timenet dialup was quite fast back in the beginning but now many ppl have problem connecting sometimes. Maybe coz it's free but not anymore I think. Used to be 2.5sen per minute... now 4 sen already. Where got free la... Hahaha... :shock: :D

2. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

i've not heard of free services.

3. Brian

Brian Newbie

Why don't we rename the thread to The TMNet Streamxy Bashing Thread? :D
    LOL

4. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

back in the days when local calls was a 13cents flat rate :D

yes.. i count that as 'free'...

5. NeoSquall

NeoSquall Newbie

the free part bout timenet is the registration.. free registration.. give IC num and there u have it.. timenet dial-up connection haha !! haha.. the tmnet customer service suckz.. but then... I do wonder why... wat are they thinkking ? are they thinkking like they are the top and we have to pay respect to them by using only their connection and all those ? or is it they are just plain lazy and cant be bothered bout the customer ? tmnet is like the biggest ISP in malaysia right ? maybe they have their face to show when comes to bad customer service... haha...

6. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Hmm... they are the top coz their balls are supported by the government. If it's left alone and other companies are allowed to compete... they will bankcrupt this very minute. :D

7. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

8. goldfries

what la you take up so much space to quote and just to put 4 embarass face.

tell us more about ur Streamyx harassment.

9. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

Errr..
    I heard that we can upgrade our 900EB2 firmware to the latest version and it will become a router, IS THAT TRUE!??????????

anyway, I think this time they really don't have port liao.
    cus I went there yesterday, they even gave me my account info including my password. So I think they've already registered my account, now just waiting for free port.

anyway, got 2 new no. here.
    03-78743741
    03-78735984

she said they are sungai way exchange tel. no.?? donno true or not.
    next time any problem, don't call that stupid 1-800-s-t-u-p-i-d hotline anymore, you can try to call these no.

10. goldfries

ehh. not 1-800. it's 1-300.

900EB2 to router.....joker la. :D

does it even have the software and intelligence to be a switch, let alone a router?

11. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

I'm not sure. heard from it from friends, seller and forums.
    then ask I ask mahh.. :)

12. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

How to become router? Not enough holes la... :D

13. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

aiyo router doesn't mean must have 5 ports one mah :)

14. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Yes, 900EB2 is a router. Ask peaz for more info.

15. Brian

Brian Newbie

eh, how to share actually?
    i got one switch and network at home liao.
    if i (ever)get streamyx and router onli got 2 port, means i must connect the port to the main comp and switch ar?

16. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

chai always brings me good NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    thankssssssssss

PEAZ: MIND TO TELL ME MORE ABOUT 900EB2?

17. goldfries

i thought it just has the bridge. there's no software inside to make it even a router. or to be smart as a router.

getting more info from peaz now.

18. goldfries

some routers are with 2 ports only. but that's not the definition of a router, and i think you can expand on your switch.

19. goldfries

so from what i see. it's not a router. but it has some capabilities found in a router BUT not a router.

correct me if i'm wrong, i believe that the DHCP server inside is to enable dynamic IP assigning to PCs that connected VIA switches/hubs.

20. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Here i come with more info.. had this discussions with the orange fish god :shock: yesterday...

anyway... the 900eb2 can function somewhat as an internet gateway and it can also function as a DHCP server...

this is how u use it.

connect the 900EB2 to a switch, all other PCs connected to the LAN have to be dynamic IP, 900EB would automatically set up the IP for all the other PCs. anyway. the 900EB2 defaults to 192.168.1.1 if i'm not mistaken. 'check the manual'

then to connect to the internet... simply get any one PC to dial up and voila... everyone can surf now.

OK... i've never tried this but many have done so and it works. to further config the modem, u can telnet to it and cehck out the settings from there.. again, no personal experience here... so go figure urself la.

Notes on using 900EB2...

limitations, yes there is limitations... portforwarding would be a problem. i'm not sure if u can set it within the modem or not for this but if it's possible then its not really a problem but from what I know... it's not possible to forward port calls... so hosting warcarft3 LAN games would be a problem la..

no UPnP support. tis is up and coming with many programs supporting it...

can't figure out any more...

----

conclusion, even buying a router like linksys's one.... we are only using it as a gateway and not fully utilising the capability of it being a router. a router only functions as a router when it's connected to any other routers.

with adsl, that's not how we get connected to the internet... we instead get connected to some proxy/gateway to get access... similar to dial-ups
    so, buying a router to share internet connections dun mean u are really utilising a router la. but just a gateway. Even in my router settings... it's set to function as a gateway only... :)

but for Cable LAN like those in US... these guys gets connected straight to a HUGE LAN... so here... using a router is sort of valid as the router would be communicating with another router.. etc... u get the picture...

---

so why did I still buy a router? well... it's acutally it's more of a brand and features choice. a regular gateway is good enough for adsl sharing but we dun have much brands here in Malaysia. the one there is available was pretty hard to configure (only telnet i heard) so that's out of the picture as it would take ages to set up all those port forwadings... especially since i use dynamic IPs.

so routers was the only next choice.

---