Max ram for motherboard

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by speaker01, Jan 9, 2011.

1. speaker01

speaker01 Newbie

At the moment I have two PCs on the go. One I use for everyday stuff and my other one I use to try out new things.

Basically what I would like to know is how much more ram can I add to either machine.

My main PC which is home built has a Foxconn M61PMV motherboard, Bios-Phoenix Technologies,LTD, Version PO5, Ram 4GB, Processor AMD Athlon II X4 620, OS Windows 7 32bit.

For a while I thought that just by changing from Windows 32 bit to 64 bit that I would be able to add more ram quite safely, however after trying a memory scan from Crucial, they say that in both cases my motherboard will not accept any more ram.

My other PC which runs WIndows 7 64 bit is an Acer Aspire T180 BE7H, Processor AMD Athlon 64 x2 500+, Ram 4GB.

I would be gratefull for any advice on this matter as I am a bit confused.

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Crucial is correct. Your motherboard, or rather the NVIDIA nForce 430 chipset, only supports up to 4 GB of RAM. However, it is still a good idea to "upgrade" to Windows 7 64-bit to fully make use of your 4 GB of RAM.

If you are just running on 32-bit, only the first 3 GB or so of your 4 GB of memory is accessible by Windows. Upgrading to the 64-bit Windows 7 will allow the operating system and your applications to make use of the rest of the RAM.

Hmm.. Looks like the Acer Aspire T180 is a desktop that uses the same chipset, so you are also stuck at 4 GB.

3. speaker01

speaker01 Newbie

Thank you very much for your response. As I said, my Acer is on 64 bit Win7 and my main PC is still 32 bit. Once I am confident that it is stable, I will probably install 64 bit on my main PC.

Once again, thank you.

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

No problem. :beer: