Memory frequency

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by desdichado, Jun 28, 2008.

1. desdichado

desdichado Newbie

I setted the frequency of the DDR 400 memory at 200 MHz on BIOS. But after saving, exit, etc. the next day on POST appear only 166 MHz (BIOS retained the value of 200 MHz !). Why ? Which is now the true memory frequency ?
    The parameters are:
    * RAM:
    a) 1 Gb, DDR 400 MHz, cl. 2,5, 184 pin; code MPXD42F-D8KTB (Kingman)

b) 0,5 Gb, DDR 400 MHz, cl. 2,5, 184 pin (TwinMos)

* Motherboard: EPOX code EP-8NPA7I, rev. 1.x, nVidia nForce4 4xchipset

* BIOS: Phoenix Award, 2006 (2005 ?); the default setting was 166 MHz (Auto) but I modified this setting to 200 MHz, thinking that the memory tolerate this frequency by design.

Thank you very much.

2. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Check your memory speeds with Everest or CPU-z it should show the actual frequency.

Only thing I could see perhaps that might cause it to be reported incorrectly is the different sizes of the 2 sticks :think:

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hmm.. You might want to update the BIOS if you have not already done so. Like Mac Daddy says, you should verify the actual frequency using CPU-z or Everest.

4. iModAMD

iModAMD Newbie

Try to up an lil bit the voltage....

5. Mac Daddy

If the actual frequency matched that would have been my next suggestion ;)

6. desdichado

desdichado Newbie

-I changed in BIOS the DIMM Voltage from Auto to 2,5 V (permitted by memory design). No change on POST.
    -The frequency indicated by CPU-Z 1.42 is 164,4 MHz.
    -EPOX site is now inaccessible, but 2-3 months ago I read about some updates. I don't remember any important changes. Updating by Internet (with Magic Bios v. 2.0) don't work; EPOX don't answer to questions (supplementary I have...no courage to update the BIOS :oops: !).
    Thanks for yours suggestions.

7. Mac Daddy

Hmmm try this quick and message back I will search before work tomorrow for more info on your BIOS I think it needs to be updated but this will tell us.

Boot with one stick and then the other and see if CPU-z reports 200Mhz.

8. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

How do you set in the BIOS? What's the option?

9. desdichado

desdichado Newbie

Power BIOS features---Memory frequency:
    Options
    * Auto
    * DDR 200 100 MHz
    * DDR 400 200 MHz (my option)

10. Mac Daddy

Have you tried this with each stick separately as I mentioned?

Are you sure both sticks are DDR400 normally it would give the option DDR400(200Mhz) or DDR333(166Mhz) :think:

11. iModAMD

iModAMD Newbie

Think everest this time would be usefull ;)

Download it here

1: Open the program
    2: Go to motherboard section
    3: Go to SPD subsection
    4: Check if the modules are the same and theirs properties

12. Mac Daddy

Good idea and if he doesn't have Everest there is an SPD tab in CPU-z as well ;)

13. iModAMD

iModAMD Newbie

For that i given the link for the direct download in the step 1 ;)

14. Unixlord

Unixlord Newbie

One advantage everest has over CPU-Z is DRAM voltage monitoring (if the MB supports it), comes in handy sometimes when the board itself won't allow you to view it in the bios.

15. desdichado

desdichado Newbie

Thank you.
    1. The frequency is 200 MHz for both sticks (absolutely sure; leaflets and CPU-Z - SPD).

2. Regarding the separate testing of memories...a good and simple suggestion, but I need to move the table, the case, many cables, screws, etc. Very reluctant :cry: !

Last edited: Jul 3, 2008
  16. Mac Daddy

OK and just had time to check the Epox site you may want to update your BIOS ...

Three updates:

09/14/2005 Bios
    Enhancements & Fixes for this beta BIOS release: 1. Hide memory 1T/2T item for C0 version CPU. 2. Add DIMM over-voltage up up to 3.2v. 3. Set 200Mhz as default for 'Memory Frequency' by K8 754 Ex version CPU. 4. Add CPU overclock up to 450Mhz. 5. Fixed 'PWRON after PWR-Fail' function fail for F71872F. 6. Add Show Correct SATA hard disk string. 7. Patch system boot from USB FDD,and USB mouse enable in BIOS,PS2/USB KB can't work.

11/07/2005 Bios
    Enhancements & Fixes for this beta BIOS release: 1."Update CPU code" 2. Fixed SM bus has error after install driver in OS. 3. Added Speical I/O and USB park mode item. 4. Vdimm adjust check.

03/08/2006 Bios
    Enhancements & Fixes for this beta BIOS release: 1. Fxied system hang at S5 when using ATEN(CS-72E) KVM data switch. 2. Fix system hang when used PCI vga card and full screen logo enabled.

DL page:
    Welcome to EPoX International, Inc. Home of EPoX Products in the USA and Canada.

Reason I wanted to try one then the other is the different sizes and manufacturers. If the 1G is in DIMM slot#1 and 0.5G in DIMM slot#2 and you are assured they are both 200Mhz then I think your BIOS needs to be updated :think:

EDIT: Epox really needs to run a spell checker :shock:

17. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

The motherboard might not be able to take 2 modules running at 200MHz.

18. Mac Daddy

Nah read the motherboard BIOS updates I think its the 0.5G stick myself man :think:

19. desdichado

desdichado Newbie

BIOS and memory frequency

Thank you. I know this list of updates. After testing on line the drivers (and also visible on POST) I suppose that I have two (from 3) updates. Because I have:
    BIOS Date: November 7th 2005
    BIOS ID: 11.07.2005-NF-CK804-6A61FPADC-00-None

The MB was buyed 2 years ago.

20. Mac Daddy

Cool so the 2006 update helped ?