Microsoft aiming to deliver Vista SP2 before Windows 7

Discussion in 'News' started by Dashken, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

2. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

I'm hoping for more speed optimizations.

3. slugbug

slugbug Newbie

I still use XP and probably will continue to for some time.

4. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

I'm using both XP Pro @ home and Vista Ultimate and Business @ work. Love them all! :thumb:

5. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Using XP Pro at work, Vista Ultimate at home.

Didn't like Vista so much, but the ability to support more than 4GB is good. :thumb:

6. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

still using xp pro :thumb:
    no vista in the meantime :p

7. fapDaddy

fapDaddy Newbie

Steve Ballmer said it's ok to skip vista for windows 7, nothing much to do with me though...I'm a linux kaki.

Windows Vista is using kernel 6.0.6 while Windows 7 will be based on kernel 6.1, still not sure what will be included in kernel 6.1 as new features though.

8. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

Vista's kewl, but its boot speed is like 20 seconds more than my XP Pro computer. I'm not sure why. lol

9. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

but you miss out the point that for the rest of the week, or maybe a month, who knows, you don't have to shut it down. You simply let it sleeps.

Vista is not perfect. it has its own share of flaws. it's slow on machines with <2GB memory but it's also getting alot of undeserved bashing. eg. a writer once said vista's future is gloomy just because the demo machine didn't boot up!!!. Seriously, how dumb can people get? I would say a lot of sensationalized news.

Independent hal architecture, user space driver stack, revamped audio architecture, a more intelligent I/O system, and the list goes on. I hardly hear ppl appreciate these improvements.

the latest graphics features wouldn't be possible without the capability to "restart" the drivers. It can self-recover, when GPU OC attempts fail. Switchable graphics on Centrino2?
    Without the independent hal design, it's simply not possible for me to have a fresh installation of vista, on a new system, up in 15mins. one image, regardless of the specification. Vista is not as bad as it seems actually.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2008
  10. fapDaddy

fapDaddy Newbie

Vista failure (yes, I considered it as a failure) is largely due to the marketing, the delayed, the expectation, and its over protective.

The marketing:
    let's not talk about it...

The delayed:
    The earlier hardware underperform due to driver issue, some applications work on XP doesn't work on Vista (backward compatibility issue...come on, it's a new OS). this is caused by the fact that almost a decade of XP make people afraid of changes.

The expectation:
    Longhorn, which later become vista, has some fancy features that are not included in vista, it's actually kinda disappointing for both the creator and user.

Over protective:
    YKWIM.

Windows Vista is the Windows ME (I kinda like ME), which lead to the better Windows 7.

11. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I agree with you Phok. Vista simply isn't appreciated by the general public because most of the improvements is behind the scenes. They complain it uses too much ram (Superfetch ftw), say only difference is Aero and Flip3d and so fourth.

The GPU driver is a GOOD example. I love it. Saves me a reboot. Heck I rarely reboot even more so now.

Windows 7 will definitely be better than Vista. You know why? Because the jump won't be as big as it was from XP to Vista (and rendered already obsolete stuff err.... well obsolete).

Vista does have it's bad points but the reality is that it doesn't deserve half the crap that gets dished to it. :mrgreen:

12. fapDaddy

fapDaddy Newbie

first the tick, now the tock.
    in this case windows 7 is the tick. lol

13. Chai

I don't know about you, but I have to restart my Vista far more often than XP now.

I can't really appreciate the Superfetch because it unnecessarily occupies more than it requires. Now I have to restart my apps regularly to get my RAM back so I can use it for other RAM intensive apps.

Imagine Outlook taking up 700+MB and 75% RAM usage total. :o

14. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I never have a problem with not enough ram for apps. I have never had it max out short of during games but even that a bulk of it (more than 50%) is used on the game.

I have tons of crap constantly running (Steam and Outlook included) and it is only using 56%. If I turn all the crap off, it goes to high 40s, low 50s. Plus it is at a lower priority.

Attached Files:

• dm.png
      dm.png
      File size:
      39.1 KB
      Views:
  15. Chai

I will capture it when I get the high RAM usage again. :mrgreen: Happens to me everyday.

16. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

In all 5 Vista PCs in the house, it usually hovers around high 40s (3 running 4GB, 2 running 2GB). That's really wierd for you though... o_0

17. Chai

Not to mention that I keep getting BSOD. :o I will disable auto restart, hopefully to see the BSOD error.

18. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Just switched to Vista x64, so far so good :mrgreen:

19. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

I don't think I have ever used more than 3GB in Vista. In games it's usually around 2~2,5GB

20. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

I'm looking forward to SP2, it won't be a service pack for no reasons.

Hopefully they will do the same as XP, to despatch the SP in discs and delivered to our doorsteps free of charged