Microsoft aiming to deliver Vista SP2 before Windows 7

Discussion in 'News' started by Dashken, Oct 16, 2008.

1. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

That'd be nice, but I don't care because i'll download it anyway.

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Look at mine. 1 day only, it takes up 700MB. If I leave it on longer, other apps will also take up the memory.

Attached Files:

3. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

Holy shit :shock:

Where are those 700MBs used for?

4. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

fetching ?

5. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

I got that, but what on earth uses that much RAM in Outlook.

6. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

too much email?
    or vista's flaws, I guess?

7. Chai

I have no idea if this is Vista problem or Outlook problem.

8. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Duh, I got 3-4 BSODs since I installed Vista x64 and I still couldn't find out what is the problem :wall:

9. Chai

Yeah, my system couldn't reboot properly just now, after installing a new patch. I have to force reboot. I have no idea what's causing the problem...sigh...

Intel AHCI drivers suck, doesn't support hotswapping despite their claims.

Edit: I just found out that my BSOD was caused by crappy Intel AHCI drivers (aka Matrix Storage Manager).

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  10. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

i have been hotswapping for a year.
    no issue. nver gotten a single BSOD.

just plug, I/O, then unplug. sweet and dandy

am still using v7.6 though, and on RAID mode. I refrained from going to v8.5. the known issue list is too long. hehehe..

11. Chai

You mean I don't have to eject? No safely remove hardware icon? I remember Nforce4 has it.

I just updated to the latest 8.6. And the bug fixes included tons of BSODs! Gosh...

12. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

I have used Outlook frequently and never got that much RAM usage. (Vista 64x)

13. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

Nope. just plug it in live.
    caching for hotplugged drive is disabled. there is no option for you to enable it in matrix stroage manager. so, you are free to do anything to the drive. plug unplug plug unplug.. .. x 100000

14. Chai

My eSATA drive caching has to be disabled manually?

15. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

I'm not sure about esata, as im using a SATA rack + sata drive. though on the paper both should work the same.

basically, if u plug the drive when the system is live, MSM will disable and not allow caching. this is of course, my observation. instruction on intel webbie is simply just plug, I/O, and unplug if u want to.

btw, check this out Windows - Unsafe at any speed? - NYTimes.com

yet another sensationalised article. these days, the standard of tech journalism is so low, it's very sad. by just simply linking their articles to a couple of other sources, they can conclude that the world is gonna end anytime now. amazing.
    it's affecting the development of IT products. blame de bloggers!!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
  16. Chai

My eSATA was detected as normal SATA drive and it still allows write cache. That's why I don't think it's safe for hot swap.

17. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

then again, Im using v7.6, native SATA, on RAID mode. Also, my sata rack is connected to SATA port 4, not 0-3. FYI, there are 2 SATA controllers on ICH9/10, not one. the first provides 0-3 and second does 4-5. not sure if it has anythign to do with this but you can try.

Also, I know nothing bout v8.5 SMS, apart from, well a long list of known issues. Dun intend to upgrade soon, so am lazy to read its manual :lol: maybe they've the operational quite a bit since v7.6.

18. Chai

My eSATA is connected to the last 2 ports. I don't mind using the old drivers. But 8.6 is the one that I found on Intel website. I'm using AHCI mode, not RAID.

19. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

I finally managed to reproduce the BSOD. It happens everytime I try to delete a particular folder (It's a Titan Quest save folder).

Back then all the crashes happened whenever the game is running, sometimes minimized and I was doing some other stuffs. I guess all the BSODs were related to that folder too. I was running 2x320GB RAID0, I already know one of them is making very sharp screeching noise and is probably dying sooner or later, so maybe it's related to this problem too. I had cloned the whole OS to my new 2x640GB RAID0 just in case :lol:

I managed to delete the files by going into safemode. No more BSOD so far.

20. Chai

It shouldn't crash the whole OS just because it can't delete a file...