Microsoft Surface 3 Pro

Discussion in 'Notebooks & Mobile Devices' started by atwl77, May 21, 2014.

1. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

Lol, looks like its been out and announced, while Surface Pro 2 isn't even officially here in Malaysia yet.

But it looks like Pro 3 is already being shown on the Microsoft Malaysia website, so I guess they're skipping Pro 2 altogether?

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I'm not sure about others, but I don't like the size as a tablet.

If I wanted a 12" ultrabook like performance tablet, why not get an ultrabook instead?

3. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

Yeah, it's kinda big. Though MS and Samsung seem to think there's a market for such big tablets... :think:

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

They are definitely skipping Surface Pro 2 for sure. Microsoft's main problem is that they don't ship quickly, certainly not the way Apple does it. But it looks like they are fixing it this time, sort of, with the August arrival date.

5. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

Yes such market does exist and will only grow bigger. Exchange online and azure, AD in the cloud (and sql, and all the new services, especially the new MS Dynamics (clients are full cross platforms!) ). Their cloud security services are very good too! Surface will be part of that ecosystem. It's going to be a complete stack. Check out their hiring in developed markets.
    I wont be surprised if these features eventually get "native" status in Windows and MS/ 3rd party devices.

it's time for MS to take back that control and innovate the PC business once again. A 2014 PC is configured with a single channel of system memory, preloaded with Nortan Internet Securit, and 100000 system control applications and 100000000000 power management profiles and 10000000000000000000 media players AND DVD AUTHORING SOFTWARE and... DVD ROM!!!! The Windows brand is so badly tarnished by these makers. Has anyone got excited buying a new PC lately? And why is it so hard to get the touchpad RIGHT? Apple has been getting it right for 8 years!!

I recently received a new S440 from our IT. We usually wipe the system clean and roll our own win image but out of curiosity, I decided to complete the "setup" process this time. I was looking for even more reasons to hate lenovo :mrgreen: In just 5 mins, I managed to get to the following screen:

[​IMG]

:wall: :wall: :wall: I didn't do much. After OOBE, the system center prompted me to update the system. I trusted Lenovo to do the right thing for me so of course I clicked 'YES' :mrgreen:

Apple's the leader in post PC era. Try attending one of those AWS/Azure/Salesforce/Cloud tech conf. You will see more and more web developers on MBAs than notebooks. However, Apple is still very weak in enterprise manageability. MS is good in enterprise IT, developer relations, and servicing. Azure's capability will definitely get better, and surface completes that stack. This is how MS is striking back! Meanwhile, HP and Dell are busy acquiring services/solution providers to build that "ONE-STOP VENDOR FOR ALL YOUR TECHNOLOGY NEEDS". :lol: :lol: Sorry, the future is AWS/Azure/Oracle. A fully integrated and properly engineered stack.

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  6. Adrian Wong

I really hope they roll out the Surface 3 Pro on time, as promised.

One of the companies I assist was planning to get the Surface 2 Pro when it came out. They waited, and waited, but it never came. And now Surface 3 Pro is out... LOL...

7. Chai

Unfortunately, MS products will only be purchased by consumers or small businesses, not big corporations.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

8. Adrian Wong

Well, the iPad isn't a corporate device either but Apple usually makes sure it gets rolled out very quickly around the world.

What's the point in announcing and demonstrating a new product if it's only going to be sold here many, many months later? Even worse if it's only available when we are already hearing news of the next upgrade. :wall:

9. Chai

I meant to say that MS can never fight with big players. Surface will never do well as big corporations can never sign long term contracts with MS for such niche products.

Ipad is different because it does well in the consumer market, forcing the corporations to adopt iPad as BYOD, indirectly cutting cost for the companies.

10. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

The Surface is to stimulate the market. As Phok eluded to, PC manufacturers have gone fat and are riding the cash cow that is the PC brand.

I applaud the effort actually. It's like wake the F up OEMs. Stop spitting out the same boring dribble shit again and again.

As for latest PC I bought, I actually really liked my Sony Vaio Pro 13.

If this has TPM and the 4GB RAM on my Pro 13 starts getting 'old', I might switch.

For office use (hence TPM) and Diablo 3/ESO use. :p

11. Chai

I'm not sure if that's going to work though. So far I'm noticing the same trend as ever. Only brands like Lenovo are still making some interesting products, can be hit or miss though.

12. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

Yeah, Lenovo has been pretty innovative recently, what with their Yoga series and Thinkpad Helix. Their Win8 tablets are also quite robust compared to my crappy experiences with other brands (Asus, Samsung).

Their problem throughout their product range seems to be crappy screens (1366x768 on 15" monitors with crappy sRGB coverage?) and sometimes extreme pricing (who's gonna shell out RM6K for a Thinkpad Helix?).

Also Lenovo Malaysia has the same problem as Microsoft Malaysia -- not bringing in the new stuff fast enough, and often not bringing in the good, higher end stuff. I asked my regular Lenovo dealer about the T440s and he said they didn't bring in the 's' model; also none of the T4xx models they imported had full HD IPS screens.

13. Chai

Because there's no demand for such high-end products here. When I was looking at the X240, the salesman kept insisting me to look at the ideapad series...

14. Adrian Wong

Actually, it's not that there's no demand but if you feed the market swill, only the pigs will come. :mrgreen:

I think they need to "upgrade" their view of their potential customers. I think there is at least a reasonably large market that would pay for a better screen, if nothing else. Practically every notebook on offer at every fair has a 1366x768 screen with a TN panel.

They need to come up with at least one line of notebook that has a decent screen. I would think for a 14", a 1440x800 resolution would be nice. They can forget about the touch screen but it must have an IPS screen.

15. Chai

You can't really blame them because of us Malaysians, generally. If they are willing to spend more on a better spec laptops, they would have just gotten a MacBook instead.

There are many laptops with highend specs sold in other countries, but you don't see it here, because there's no demand for such models, like what atwl77 mentioned.

Most of us here just want something cheap and big, as usual.

16. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

I doubt the azure/metro direction is to fight with the big players. I think they want to offer a complete ecosystem. Iaas, PaaS, SaaS and devices. Ubiquitous computing. Offer everything as a service to take away the complexity.

AWS weakness is that they don't get to extend beyond infrastructure services. They don't have OS, applications and devices products.

you simply cant rely on partners like lenovo, hp, acer or dell to grow your business/brand. Really, ask yourself, has anyone gotten excited about buying a new MS product? Do you really expect a meg whitman's company can deliver innovative, exciting products and solutions?

corporations will sign deal if the product can deliver them value.

17. Adrian Wong

Actually, there's a market for such notebooks. That's why Apple MacBook Pros are getting more and more popular. Heck, I will likely spring for the next one.

There are actually Windows notebooks that beat Apple MacBook Pros in specs but the trouble is they are also a lot more expensive. Probably because of the limited demand, but it's a vicious cycle, I think - the high price leading to low demand leading to the high price...

I think it's time for notebook manufacturers to move up the resolution and screen quality. If they all agree to dump TN panels for IPS/PVA and just increase the resolution a little to 1440x800, I think the cost increase wouldn't be too much for the market to bear.

There's a marked discrepancy between the notebook hardware specs and the display offered. My current Dell Inspiron notebook has a Core i7 processor with 16 GB of RAM and an NVIDIA GeForce 640M GPU, but it's still stuck with a 1366 x 768 TN panel. There is not even the option to upgrade!

Dell would offer me all kinds of upgrade options, but not the display. No matter what, I'm stuck with 1366 x 768 TN. :wall:

18. Chai

I'm not saying that there's no market for it. Just that it is very very small in Malaysia. And without much marketing, MacBook is probably what people will go for. Marketing is very important especially in a world like this. If not, Apple and Samsung wouldn't have gotten this popular.

Other than Tech ARP, I have not heard of anyone else not using Apple or Samsung phones, or high end laptops which doesn't start with Mac. In fact, I think most of you guys are.

Personally, despite my hate for Apple products, MacBook Air is probably the best for a small sized laptops where touchscreen is not a requirement.

If you need a keyboard, then get a laptop with a proper keyboard, not something like a Surface Pro. Even a keyboard dock is much better than Surface Pro.

If you need touchscreen + stylus, then Surface Pro makes sense. Personally, I think MS makes too much compromises trying to be everything.

Zuephok: You may be speaking from a SOHO point of view, but major partners are one of the key player in supporting big corporations. I have not heard of big MNCs not using one of the big players. I was mostly replying to Adrian's comment.

I have very little experience in small business environment, so I don't have anything much to say about that.

Last edited: May 26, 2014
  19. Adrian Wong

That's the thing... I think there's a market for it but maybe there's not enough marketing, or even supply.

When I was looking for the Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro for someone, it was either not available at all, or it wasn't available in the configuration he wanted. I think he went for a Toshiba ultrabook instead.

20. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

Reminds me that Dell used to be so much better in the past. When I configured my old Inspiron 640m years ago, there were tons of upgrade options including the 1440x900 screen.

Now, very little choice in configurations; also none of the business class notebooks (Latitude, Precision) can be purchased from their online store.