Modem Problems with XP

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by taverner, Nov 6, 2005.

1. taverner

taverner Newbie

Hi, I have a tricky problem with a 56k modem (smartlink) that came with a new computer I just bought (fujitsu siemens Scaleo T)
    The problem is that the modem causes the computer to crash when it is used. I am trying to use it for fax sending (winfax pro) and all configuration seems to be correct. No problems are detected either by winfax, or by the modem assistant available through the control panel.

I looked up on microsoft knowledge base and found this:

..........Attempting to communicate with an internal modem using the same COM port as an existing on-board COM port or a multi-I/O board can cause various problems, depending upon the hardware and BIOS used. These problems can occur even though nothing is connected to the physical COM port. Symptoms associated with having duplicate COM ports include:

• The system stops responding (hangs) when you create a communications document, try to connect, or use the Dial This Number command.

• The system restarts when you attempt to dial or when the connection would have occurred.

• The modem dials and rings but does not connect.

• The modem initializes and dials but the message NO CARRIER is displayed.

RESOLUTION
    To correct these problems, do one of the following:

Disable or reassign the on-board or multi-I/O board COM port. Consult your hardware documentation for information on reconfiguring the COM port.
    -or-
    Reconfigure the internal modem to use a different COM port, such as COM3 or COM4. Consult your modem documentation for information about doing this. NOTE: Make sure that the IRQ of the COM port you choose is not being used by any other installed device.

.................This sounds pretty much like my problem, but Im not sure how to approach the remedy.
    (Siemens technical support have no idea, but Id rather fix it that go through a return under warranty)

Can Anyone help?
    Thanks,
    DT

2. aKho

aKho beat around the bush

that knowledge base was refering to an internal modem, is yours internal?

assuming your using windows xp sp2, if you right-click my computer, go to properties and under the hardware tab, click on device manager. expand the ports and see what's occupying your coms... :think:

3. taverner

taverner Newbie

Thanks for your reply
    yes it is an internal modem,
    Device manager sys in ports: communications port COM 1 Bluetooth Port COM 4 Nothing else.
    DT

4. aKho

aKho beat around the bush

all right, do u have problems using the internal modem to connect online? dial-up..

by any chance any external modem to test ur winfax?

manage to update your bios?

if ur sure it's a hardware problem.. perhaps better to claim warranty... :think:

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

What port did you set the modem to use? :think: