Modify Laptop Softmod to Quadro!

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by bid, Nov 21, 2011.

1. bid

bid Newbie

Hi,

I am an engineering designer, and I need a Quadro capable laptop for 3D CAD and SolidWorks.

I have had quotes at £3000 and much more for a suitable notebook. I did have a Dell M90, but this has recently died! And cost nearly £3000 new!

So I am wondering if anyone can tell me the best "Standard" laptop with good Nividia Gforce or similar grahics, that I can softmod to a Quadro using RivaTuner?

I am happy to softmod or flash... recently I modded my Windows 7 32-bit so that it accesses 8GB Ram, and was quite annoyed at the artificail limit imposed by MicroSoft. I was always told that Win 7 could only support 4GB!

So now could someone reccommed a suitable notebook or laptop that I could consider modifying to a Nvidia Quadro emulated graphics for 3D CAD. I am happy to purchase any brand. Just so long as I dont have to pay over £3000 for the 'official ones' which are a real rip off.

Many thanks,
    Bid

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Unfortunately, all current notebooks are using GPUs that cannot be softmodded.

BTW, why are you using Windows 7 32-bit? Unless your notebook has less than 4 GB of RAM, you should be using Windows 7 64-bit. For certain, you should use 64-bit Windows 7 since your notebook has 8 GB of RAM.

It's okay if you have the 32-bit Windows 7. You can use the same licence key for the 64-bit version. The only thing is you have to find a copy of 64-bit Windows 7 and install it.