Monitor Not Receiving Signal

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by ariyamusafir, Sep 19, 2011.

1. ariyamusafir

ariyamusafir Newbie

All was well.... Went off a few days, started PC and monitor does not receive signal. PC on as can here the windows load up sound. Keyboard and mouse function ok as pressing the power off on the keyboard will shut down properly the PC. The VGA is new, about 3 weeks old... Gigabyte Nvidea 550 Gtx I think...

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

The easiest way to test it is by plugging the monitor to another laptop to see if it works. Then you can narrow it down to the graphics card. Did you try other VGA ports if available?

3. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Try monitor on another pc/laptop.
    Try a different port on the graphic card.

Sometimes my desktop does the same thing... :nuts:

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Check your cable connections. Coincidentally, the VGA cable on my monitor actually dislodged itself last week, causing the monitor to go blank. That's what happens when I don't screw it in place... :wall: :wall:

5. ariyamusafir

ariyamusafir Newbie

UREKA!!!.. Removed the RAMs... Put it in again... it does the trick and everything was back to normal... at least for now.... Question is.. what has those RAMs got to do with this? I mean.. this should have been a VGA or a Monitor or at least some connection in between these and not RAM. Hmmmm???

6. Adrian Wong

That's odd. If your memory modules are not seated properly, you won't even be able to boot up.

7. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Yup, that's what I'm thinking. Most likely tilting the casing helped. lol

8. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, maybe while installing the RAM, the graphics card was 'touched'.

9. ariyamusafir

ariyamusafir Newbie

Not possible.... The RAM were left untouched for ages I think... Before my leave of a couple of days with the power plug pulled out, everything was fine until I started up again, then that was where the problem started. On off again did not helped much. Pulling out the VGA and putting it back again did not do anyhting to help, same as pulling off the monitor cables etc.

10. Adrian Wong

Well, I honestly don't know why the memory modules would ever have any effect on the display... I am certainly puzzled how the system would boot up if the memory modules were somehow not in proper contact.

But anyway, I'm glad your system is working now. :thumb:

11. ariyamusafir

ariyamusafir Newbie

Erm... I don't think the memory modules were not inserted properly as the modules were left there ages, untouched. I got to know from somewhere else that sometimes, too long sitting in its place might cause problem??? Hahaha.. I don't know, but apparently true.

12. Adrian Wong

Well, you may not have touched it, but daily variations in temperature will cause the metal contacts to expand and retract. Exposure to moist air also causes oxidation. Over time, that may cause some loss of contact.

13. Calvin Woon

Calvin Woon Banned

Don't think that's the isuue with RAM, its a connection error and thats what is creating problem. Check out the circuits properly.