Monitor!

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by zy, Jul 21, 2011.

1. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Any suggestion on monitor?

I'm a noob when it comes to it.

Main purpose:
    - Photo editing
    - Some games

What should I look out for when it comes to choosing a monitor?

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

What is your budget? Screen size?

Now there's 2 common types of screen, IPS or TN panels.

3. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

Get a Mac :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

4. Chai

I think he will sell a Mac even if he was given a Mac product for free! :haha:

5. jay cee

jay cee Newbie

well earlier in the year I got this, and am quite happy with it. I thought the colors were off when I first started using it but I realize now the Dell was just really bad at color reproduction. I got mine at newegg.

http://forums.techarp.com/graphics-cards-displays/26266-new-monitor-just-arrived.html

Newegg.com - ASUS VH242H Black 23.6" 5ms HDMI Full 1080P Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1 (ASCR 20000:1) Built in Speakers

they make a slightly larger one for $10 more
    Newegg.com - ASUS VW246H Glossy Black 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 ASCR 20000:1 (1000:1) Built-in Speakers

and a pro model for the graphic artists
    Newegg.com - ASUS ProArt Series PA246Q Black 24.1" 6ms P-IPS Height/Swivel/Pivot Adjustable LCD Monitor w/2 USB hub, Card Reader & Display port 400cd/m2 50000:1 DCR

In general(from the web)
    TN = Twisted Nematic - These are 6-bit screens that cannot really reproduce 16.7 million colors. They can only reproduce 262,144 colors; 64 shades of Red, Green & Blue. Thats (2^6)^3 or 64^3. All the other colors are created through a process called dithering. These typically have fast response times (for gaming) at the expense of color accuracy. These are inexpensive monitors.

MVA = Multidomain Vertical Alignment
    PVA = Patterned-ITO Vertical Alignment

MVA and PVA panel are the most common 8-bit LCD screen around. They are relatively slow compared to TN, but offers better color accuracy. Good viewing angles and contrast ratio. However not all MVA and PVA panels are 8-bit screens. S-MVA and S-PVA are typically the ones that are 8-bit panel from my research. S = Super.

8-bit LCDs can truly reproduce 16.7 million colors. That's because there will be 256 shades of each color (2^8 ); Red, Green & Blue. Therefore 256^3 = 16.7 million (actually, a little more).

S-IPS = Super In-Plane Switching. These are high end and really expensive LCD panels. All these panels are 8-bit panels and comes the closest to CRT image quality. From what I've read they also have very good response times as well. LCD monitors geared towards graphic artists who demands the most color accuracy are designed with these type of panels. That means the shades of color you see on the screen are the exact shades that will be printed out on a good color printer.

6. zy

$150 - $200 USD.

20-24"

:naughty:

:shhh:

:faint: information overload. the 3rd asus is too expensive :shifty:

:thumb: thanks.

7. Chai

8. zy

9. zy

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  10. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Get IPS for sure, especially if you want to do graphics editing.

Forget about LED. I would take IPS with a standard backlight vs. TN with an LED backlight any day.

11. zy

U2211H vs ST2220T, which would you get? :lol:

12. Chai

This monitor is not IPS. The one I recommended is one of the cheapest IPS panel in the market.

13. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

14. zy

Yes I know, but right now I can get the ST2220H which is a IPS panel for ~220. :think:

15. Chai

Actually these IPS panels are 6bit panels, unlike the higher end IPS. So don't expect too much. Colors are just about as good as most TN panels, but the viewing angle will be superior.

16. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

IMHO, spend a little more and get the higher-end IPS panels. The monitor is probably the best investment you can make. :thumb:

17. Chai

Cheapest 8bit panels that you can buy here is Dell U2410. You may have more choices there.

18. zy

I think 8-bit IPS panels only come in 24" & above. :(

Those cost like ~$500 and above.
    Dell U2410 & HP LP2475W

19. Chai

Yup, usually 24" and above.

But the Dell eIPS panels are not too bad, at least better than the TN panels. But the response time may not be good.

20. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started