Motherboard Upgrading

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by miahman, Apr 20, 2008.

1. miahman

miahman Newbie

if i update my motherboard and all othe rcomponents (graphics -sound etc) but still keep the same harddrive.

will i still have to buy and install a new OS for my computer?

thanks for the help

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yes, generally you have to reinstall the OS. If you intend to use the same OS, you do not have to buy a new one.

3. miahman

miahman Newbie

how do i do that?

i mean my OS isn't on CD it came pre-installed with my comp when i bought it.

4. Adrian Wong

If pre-installed the PC should come with a CD copy of the OS, unless it's not genuine. ;)

5. miahman

miahman Newbie

okay you completely lost me.

i bought this from Dixons and had a warranty and all that(which has expired).

if by genuine you mean 'not fake' then i think mine should have been in this category.

6. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

If you can use Windows Update, then it's original. :)

7. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. Then you should check with Dixon. They have to provide you with a CD for reinstallations.

8. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

Well, i was thinking techinically windows are pc based right? 1 OS for 1 pc. But since your upgrading, i think it is possible to retain the current os (since your getting a new mobo and etc but using the same hdd)

9. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

You should be able to use your product key and obtain a version from the Microsoft site a lot of Dell systems are coming that way :)

10. Mac Daddy

No unless it is a direct replacement the boot sector info or MBR is unique. If you change your mobo it is a rule of thumb to reformat the drive and install the OS fresh.

11. miahman

miahman Newbie

lol thanks guys.

i can do windows update.

but the thing is i had no product key or anything it was just installed and everything was ready as soon as i turned on my PC.

hmmmmm gotta ask my mom if she still has the receipt and then try n find it:wall:

if not goodbye to my ambitious dreams:boohoo:

12. Adrian Wong

The Windows product key is usually printed on a holographic sticker stuck onto the chassis of your desktop... or the underside of the notebook.

13. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

Kinda pain in the ass when i formated a laptop (sister's friend). The cd key is beneath the laptop and i had to turn the laptop downwars while entering the cd key :lol:

14. Adrian Wong

LOL!! Next time write down the number before you start installing. :mrgreen:

15. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

Lol, was formating half way when it ask for the key :lol:

16. miahman

miahman Newbie

lols at lacus

@adrian;

when you say chasis, do you mean its just on the back and i have to move my desktop to see it or do you mean its on the inside of the chasis.

17. Mac Daddy

Not Adrian Bro but it should be located on the rear panel at the top or sometimes the left side panel near the top. In all cases its located outside the chassis :)

18. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Usually it's somewhere on the casing outside.

19. miahman

miahman Newbie

cool i'll check it after i come back from college XD

20. miahman

miahman Newbie

i just contacted packard bell and they say they do not provide Cds as it is an pre-installed OEM version. if i change my mobo i will have to purchase a new OS.

is there anyway to get around that?