My bios flash fiasco

Discussion in 'BIOS Optimization Guide (BOG)' started by spookmeister, Dec 20, 2005.

1. spookmeister

spookmeister Newbie

Hi guys, here goes.

I got a comp from a friend, it's a ECS P4VMM2 rev 3.2a mobo and a 2.2 celeron. The comp was extremely unstable. I looked on the ecs website and found what I thought was the correct bios for it. I flashed it, and now when I turn it on I get long beeps that just keep repeating. I tried using a boot floppy to reflash it, but it can't find the a: drive.

I found the article on hot flashing, especially using different motherboards. So I opened up my file server which has a Asus P2B-B mobo in it, and tried a hotflash.

Here's what happens, I unhooked all un-needed hardware, hd, cd, etc. Boot from floppy to a dos prompt. I then use my chip puller and remove the p2b bios chip, no problem at all. Comp is sitting quite happily. I then place the bad chip onto the socket, and as soon as I push down on it and it contacts the socket, the computer beeps, and says a stack overflow has ended the session. It also says to modify my config.sys file. I put stack=12256 in there, and it still does the same thing.

Then I booted it from my windows ME disk and went to a dos prompt that way. removed good bios, installed bad one and same thing. Stack overflow.

Any help would be appreciated. :pray:

Thanks in advance.

Rob.

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Some motherboards do not work with hot flashing. I have bad experience with hot flashing myself.

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hmm.. Did you check to make sure both BIOS chips are of the same type, capacity and using the same voltage?

4. spookmeister

spookmeister Newbie

I think you've probably hit the nail on the head with that one. They probably are different.

5. p3n1x

p3n1x Newbie

i tried a hotflash a few times...

1 time, i fried the original bios chip for the board i was usin to hoitflash with..no biggie, we rma it :)

2nd time i did a hotflash, 100% success :) of course, it was using same type MSI boards....the first time i did it, i was using an MSI board, and an ASUS board...

if all else fails, u can go here, www.badflash.com i reccomend it, because my main rig at home, was saved by this great place, IIRC Jack is his name....and the chip they replaced for me is still in my rig, and has taken a flash or 2 since then....all workin fine.

so if its your last hope, goto badflash.com and do whaT HE says about gettin the info off the chips, numbers, etc, and send them the bios u want to be flashed into your chip....

enjoy, and good luck!

6. spookmeister

spookmeister Newbie

That's great that it worked for you.

I was just on ebay and there's a guy with two bios chips for my board, I bid on them.

Hopefully this will solve my problems. :roll:

7. zachig

zachig Newbie

GOOD LUCK. Let us know if it worked out for you. :thumb:

8. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yup. Good luck! :thumb: