my first liquid cooling kit @_@

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by miahman, Nov 16, 2008.

1. miahman

miahman Newbie

hi guys,

since u've helped me out with other parts u might as well help me with liquid cooling XD
    (and no i still haven't made my comp. i'm still a broke student lmfho out of sarcasm)

which of these liquid cooling kits is better the gigabyte galaxy II
    GIGABYTE - Product - PC Components - Thermal Solution - Liquid Cooling - Products - 3D Galaxy II

or the coolermaster aquamax(seagate?) <----[it's all the same]
    Cooler Master - Ultimate provider of Computer Chassis | Cooler | Power Supply

i'm plannin to use it in the antec 1200 case so space shouldn't be an issue. and i'm gonna change the LED fans depending on the colour of the liquid cooling kit so no problems there either XD

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Get a proper air cooler.

These all-in-one water coolers are a waste of money and time.

3. miahman

miahman Newbie

u mean powerful fans and heatspreaders?

4. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

A good CPU heatsink would be better than those. You don't really need that powerful of a fan to get good cooling. I'm a bit outdated for aircooling. But you can't go wrong with the high end Thermalright heatsinks.

5. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Proper air cooler: Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme or HR-01 Plus

Those Thermaltake, Gigabyte, Coolermaster watercooling kits are crap. Plus, they are mixing copper and aluminum in the loop, which means these watercooling systems are at risk of galvanic corrosion.

If you really want a proper watercooling system, we can help you on selecting the right parts to build a full watercooling system.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  6. miahman

miahman Newbie

i heard the term 'galvanic corrosion' in college but cant remeber what it meant.

wow the thermal right ultra looks really cool. but is just cooling the CPU enough? i mean, doesn't the graphics and ram need cooling too. i know there were add on parts for the water cooling systems, there must be some sort of air cooling counterparts...@_@

7. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

8. miahman

miahman Newbie

hmm thanks.

i guess that closes the book on liquid cooling.

but i thought liquid cooling was supposed to be the 'next step', so howcome its more inefficient than air cooling?

9. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Actually the proper setups are way better than air cooling. Just those kits are a waste of money as heatsinks beat them.

10. miahman

miahman Newbie

how about zalman reserator xt as liquid cooling system system?

as for air based heat sinks, the asus triton 81 looks like a beast? would that be recommended?

11. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Nope, another waste of money.

Not recommended. If you want alternatives, consider Xigmatek HDT-S1283.

1 person likes this.
  12. miahman

miahman Newbie

i'd stick to the thermal right. it looks much better.

i know when i ask this i will get something above the price i'm willing to pay, but which liquid cooling system will actually be good?

13. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

lol forget about those. A proper WCing kit would set you back 200-300 USD easy.

Thermalright is best, forget the rest... :mrgreen:

1 person likes this.
  14. miahman

miahman Newbie

*gasp* guess so.

but man those glowing liquid coolers were f'in attractive though.

well thanks anyway XD

15. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hehe, forget the bling bling. :D

If you want real performance, Thermalright heatsinks are the way to go for air coolers. I would consider Zalman coolers too for quiet performance. But neither are cheap.

16. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

I don't know about you, but those watercooling kits don't look nice to me at all, especially their butt ugly waterblocks.

Here's some of the waterblocks that I recommend, they are much better when it comes to bling and not to mention, performance.

Petra's Tech Shop
    Petra's Tech Shop
    Petra's Tech Shop
    Petra's Tech Shop

Plus, you can easily get that UV glowing bling by just adding UV reactive additives to distilled water.

17. miahman

miahman Newbie

woah. i really like the first one.

i thought the waterblocks looked okay

18. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

Watercooling kits usually aren't that good, they're cheaper than buying separate components but they don't perform too well. Although I did have heard some good stories about the XSPC X2O Delta V3, google it.

19. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

Get LED fans, and some cathodes instead :p

20. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Not really. Those watercooling kits can easily exceed 200-300USD. The Zalman Reserator XT for example costs up to 400USD.