My latest tyres acquisition! Michelin Pilot Sport 3!

Discussion in 'Chai' started by Chai, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

No, no, I was referring to the run-flat tyres that BMW uses.

2. Adrian Wong

AFAIK, nitrogen won't make a difference for general use. Neither will it reduce tyre wear. AFAIK, of course.. :D

3. Adrian Wong

Sigh.. Who wouldn't want an Audi... :(

The problem is the Audi is probably the most expensive German brand over here. Definitely more expensive than BMW, Mercedes-Benz or Volkswagen.

The Audi A4 2.0 Turbo Quattro goes for RM 310,000. That's exactly US$ 100,000!!! :shock: :shock:

That would make the Audi A4 Quattro about RM 70K (US$ 22.5K) more expensive than the Volkswagen Passat CC and BMW 320i, and about RM 54K (US$ 17.5K) more than the Merc C200 CGI. That's how expensive the Audi is over here. :wall: :wall:

Coming back to tyres... I don't think I can afford to "feed" a Bimmer. The tyres alone are insanely expensive. From my Cost of Ownership (COO) calculations, Bimmers are only worth owning for the first 3 years, especially if you can get a relatively-new second-hand unit (less than a year old), cause of the free 3 year maintenance and warranty.

4. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

You can't compare like that :mrgreen: It has a turbo, and more likely extra features.

Have to compare the specs.

My dad's company B7 A4 was only like ~RM220K i think (I only remember it was comparable to the Volvo S4 price)
    2.0L non turbo. non quatro
    sports package (wheels, suspension)
    no HID, no electronic seats, no bose system.
    11 speaker audio system i think :think:

5. zy

Audi 1.8T [160bhp/250Nm] - RM240,000
    Audi 2.0T S-line [211bhp/350Nm] - RM310,000

Comparison with standard 1.8T, 2.0T s-line has:
    • Front sports seat
    • Driver memory seat
    • Aluminum inlays/trim
    • Electric rear blind, manual side blind
    • 18" wheels

BMW 320i [150bhp/200Nm] - RM237,000
    BMW 325i M sport [218bhp/250Nm] - RM310,000

Audi vs BMW

Airbags: 8 vs 6
    Acceleration 0-100kmh : 8.6/6.5 vs 9.7/7.6
    Overconsumption l/100km : 7.2/7.5 vs 8.1/8.6
    Equipment wise: No freaking idea. Cant get BMW Malaysia specs.

6. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

How much is the 328i and the C300 there? Those are the apples to apples comparison for the A4 2.0T. About beemers yeah, as soon as the warranty expires, ditch it. A lot of stuff on it is designed to wear out just after the warranty period.

Run flats are always a bit more spendy. The previous parental mobile had em and they were a lot of money to replace (lol sidewall puncture FTL! :wall: ).

7. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Forget about owning a quattro. We can't afford it. :haha:

8. Adrian Wong

That's true if you compare it against the BMW 320i, which is the "entry-level" model here.

On the other hand, the Volkswagen Passat CC has a turbocharged engine as well, but it's "only" RM 245K (US$ 72K).

BTW, RM 310K can buy you a reasonably big condo over here - one which most people would take 15-20 years to pay off. Hehe...

9. Adrian Wong

Specs are one thing. All BMWs in Malaysia come with a 3-year all-inclusive warranty + servicing. That means for the first 3 years, all repair and maintenance costs are covered. Translation - the price includes repair + maintenance for the first 3 years.

10. Adrian Wong

We don't have the BMW 328i over here, probably because it would be so expensive they can't build enough locally to be worth the effort. The highest-end 3-series model is the 325i Convertible which costs RM 440K (US$ 142K).

As for the Merc C300, we have the Estate Avantgarde model here which costs RM 397K (US$ 128K).

Talk about crazy prices... :wall:

11. Adrian Wong

I totally agree. Unless it's an old second-hand unit! :haha:

12. Chai

It's ok, 325 would be good enough, close to 200bhp. If you want more power, please do consider 335 twin turbo or M3. :haha:

13. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

LOL. Didn't notice this thread :p Anyways, I do agree that tyres are the most important component for the safety of the car. It's the only component of the car that's between you (car) and the road.

Recently got rid of my stock Bridgestone BS250 which was so bloody slippery on wet surface with a set of Michelin XM1. Even as a budget tyre, they cost me RM260 per piece. I can only imagine how much you paid for your PS2. LOL.

But one thing though, the car does feel a little odd when I drive in the Smart Tunnel. It doesn't feel slippery. But instead, like the tyres are too soft... weird feeling. Wrong tyre pressure? But i just checked it to be at the recommended of 210kpa

14. zy

No idea, I inflate my tires pressure to like 36psi :p recommended was like 32/29psi

15. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I run mine at the recommended 42 PSI usually. But I think I still have it at 47PSI from the track...

16. Chai

Wow...that's really high. The maximum pressure that my PS3 can handle is only 51psi. But I guess that figure is different for each tyre size.

Wow RM260 is too expensive for XM1. I got my PS3 for just RM240, but I heard that they have increased the price lately. But there's no such thing as budget Michelin tyres. :haha:

17. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Yeah. Mine shows max 50 PSI on the tire but on the door it shows 42PSI recommended. On the track, they recommended that people doing the lapping go 5-7PSI over what the stock pressure should be (due to compression in cornering).

In a pic (here) it shows how the tires get compressed in corner (pic is showing a long sweeping corner too - I wonder how bad it was in the chicane). Good thing I upped the pressure though, the scuffing stayed within where Michelin marked it should be.

Here's a pic someone posted on one of the Audi forums I frequent and it shows the compression of the tire in a chicane. (same tire size/dimensions - R19/35/255)
    http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_06411.jpg

18. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Damn.... I would also have gotten the PS3 if it was 240. Even the Goodyear one was 240 already.

But apparently tyre prices skyrocketed recently. Crap. LOL. Oh well, didn't go around shopping as I changed it the day before I wanted to go up Camerons. Glad I did cos it rained while I was there.

19. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. I actually inflate my tyres to 250 kpA, which should be 36.25 psi.

20. Chai

Hmm, that is because he fitted narrower tyres on a wide rim, that's why it looked compressed.

Wow, PS3 is really good on the wets. I can drive like it's dry! But aquaplaning is about the same as my previous sets.