My new power supply!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by matterbatter, Sep 5, 2010.

1. matterbatter

matterbatter Newbie

So I bought a brand new power supply for my comp. I used to have a 250w Hipro, and due to my new graphics card, I needed to upgrade. So now I have a 500w Hercules Green that cost $24.99.

-=Now the problem I'm facing=-
    When i compared the wires from my old to new one, the old one seems to have way thicker wires than the new one. Could this mean that the power supply is bad or is the thinner wires just what all newer power supplies have?

By the way my old power supply is from 2002-2003

Should I be worried about this or not?

2. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

:?

What are you worried about? I can only say that it looks like a cheap PSU.

What is your computer specs. ?

3. matterbatter

matterbatter Newbie

If its cheap does that mean that it is likely to fail and ruin my comp.

I have an Hp Pavilion a250n

Processor-2.6 pentium 4 w/ HT

Graphics Card-Ati Radeon Sapphire AGP HD3850

Motherboard-ASUS P4SD-LA

Hard Drives-Master:120 GB Seagate
    Slave:WD 640GB Caviar Green

RAM- 2 3/4GB ddr (2-1GB, 1-512mb, 1-256mb)

Its old but it still runs pretty good, I can still play wow, CoD4, 5, 6 and stuff

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Wow...a 500W PSU that costs only $24.99. Recently I bought a Corsair TX650 for $89.99 in Newegg. And I actually consider this affordable.

I will never save the money on PSU, my cheap PSU blew many years ago, everything in the system were dead except for RAM and CDROM drive. I swore to myself never to buy a cheap PSU again.

5. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

Well my psu still alive but somehow it can't boot my system @ times :wall: shut it down, then refuses to boot up, PSU degrading? but most of the time it works, and yeah,do spend more on getting a good psu...now what psu should i get :haha: