Need a new wireless router modem...

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by Max_87, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Are there any cheaper alternatives that offers QoS feature similar to the one on the DLink DSL-2740B? DSL-2740B is a bit too expensive for me :(

If you want to know how the QoS looks like on the DSL-2740B:
    ftp://files.dlink.com.au/products/DSL-2740B/Manuals/DSL-2740B_C2_Manual_v3.00.pdf

Linksys - DSL Hardware - Whirlpool Broadband Forums
    Linksys WAG series doesn't seem very popular here lol...

I torrent, so I don't want something that hangs when there are too many connections :lol: As for Wireless N or G... not really important to me since I don't transfer files much through the router.

Recommendations please? :mrgreen:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Eh, isn't QoS a standard feature in all new WiFi routers? Some don't call it QoS but it's there. Even my super old and cheap 3Com WiFi router has QoS.

3. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

You are right, I just checked some of the more popular WiFi routers here and they all have that feature. :haha: I'm too outdated when it comes to routers, didn't know it has actually become a standard feature now.

I'll just simply choose any router that the forumers in Whirlpool recommends :lol:

4. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

disable upnp & just portforward would prevent the modem from hanging?

thats what i usually do.

before that it use to hang alot.

plus i just started running ddwrt.

5. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Some modem still locks up even if u disable uPnP and port forward. I heard that it's because the NAT table on the router is not big enough and bittorrent opens too many connections and fills up the table which eventually causes it to lockup.

6. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yeah, that's what happens to my 3Com router! :wall: :wall:

7. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Get something that supports DD-WRT firmware and you don't have to worry about features :)