Need advise on my network configuration

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by karhoe, Sep 12, 2010.

1. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Ok guys, this is my situation, I plan to wire up my whole house with CAT5 cables and plan to run a gigabit network.

Currently, this is my setup

Modem on bridge mode -> 4 port router

With the new setup, 4 ports won't be enough so I plan to get a gigabit switch.

Now comes the difficult part, how to use the gigabit switch?

Is it possible to have it this way.

Modem (bridge) -> Router as DHCP server -> Gigabit Switch connected to one of the port of the DHCP server

With this, I will plug some devices on the 4 port gigabit switch as well as some on the router. Is that all? Can my devices on gigabit switch communicate with the DHCP router?

Also since the routing is handled by DHCP server which only run 100mbps, can I benefit from the speed of 1gbps?

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

That's exactly how I setup mine.

You will only benefit 1Gbps if all the 1Gbps capable devices are connected to the same switch.

3. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

CAT 5 or CAT 5e ? Actually I don't even know the difference. :mrgreen:

Yes, just plug it in. DHCP will work on the switch.
    If I'm not wrong, the gigabit switch will run at full speed for anything connected to it. (except the router or non-gigabit hardware)

My current network

Modem - WiFi Router - Switch - PC
    ...............| . | . |
    ..............PC PC PC

Switch was used because I don't want to spend money on another long cable since I have a spare switch with me.

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Jason says to go for CAT 5e, or CAT 6. He says the price difference should not be significant. Both are Gigabit-rated.

5. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Wow cool, I guess I meant CAT5e

1)Alright so as confirmation the devices on my switches will be able to communicate with the devices on the router.

2) The IP on the gigabit switch will be assigned by the DHCP router.

3) I get 1gbps speed between the 4 devices connected to the gigabit switch but 100mbps when the device on the gigabit switch communicates with the device on the router.

I don't quite get this part because I thought all traffic communication between devices on the gigabit switch must move back to the router as being a router, it is doing the 'routing', and hence there would be a bottleneck of 100mbps? isn't it so?

4) Btw guys, can enlighten me what is DHCP Relay? Would such feature helped in such a configuration?

5) ps Adrian, I've not seen you on MSN for long time, thought of sharing some stuff with you regarding your website :D

6. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Btw guys, just to share. I found out that you can extend your existing network by converting an unused router into a switch. All you need to do is to disable DHCP on the router and connect it using a LAN wire into your current router, just like that and it works.

7. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Yup, they are basically all in one. You can turn a wireless router into standalone AP for example.

My house is currently using 2 wireless routers, 1 VPN router, but not really using them 'efficiently'. :haha:
    1. Currently only using its AP functionality only
    2. Routing and PPPoE dialer
    3. Switch only

8. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Since I gave my WiFi router to my cousin, I won't be able to use my old 3Com OfficeConnect 11g router as a second wireless AP. Guess I will add an 8/16-port switch when I move to my house.

9. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Yeah, I know that one.

I once had 2 WRT54G routers at home :haha: Best part is both was free :mrgreen:

I got bored and hooked up both routers, disabled DHCP on one of them. One router is set to Wireless-G only another was set to Wireless-B only. :nuts:

Sold the router to another friend already :haha:

I love free broken stuffs :shhh: Fix them and sell them :shifty: