Need some hardware help.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by James Hudson, Dec 21, 2002.

1. James Hudson

James Hudson Newbie

I built a Duron 1.1Ghz system with 256Mb of PC133(generic). I'm running a SY-K7VEM(Soyo) mobo. I have the latest drivers,BIOS, and am starting from a clean install of Windows 98. When I try to install video games, Black & White, my system locks up. Ctrl+Alt+Del does nothing. Alt+F4, Alt+TAb, and Ctrl+ESC have no effect either. I can rebbot normally with the reset and ScanDisk doesn't detect errors. The second run, the app finished installing fine, but would hang at various points in game play. End result is consistent with probs mentioned above. The only components I have not replaced are the CPU, mobo, and PSU. The PSU is a cheapy, so it is suspect. Can any1 suggest any troubleshooting tips? Also, can any1 tell me how to test a power supply fo stray current, or other faulty component related signs?? :mad: :mad: :mad:

2. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

One way to troubleshoot is to try to pinpoint the problem. This could be rather tedious process though.

Try replacing each piece of hardware with another and see if the problem goes away or not.

A few devices is to be suspected here. Since you mentioned that the PC hangs during gameplays, your AGP card could be the cause of the problem (overheating maybe?). You can also try to replacing the memory modules too, but this is not suspective as you don't report having any blue screen.

Oh, and of course, try changing power supplies.

Also, you didn't mentioned if the PC would hang when doing anything else other than games.

Try listing down the full specs of your hardware and what AGP card you are using. That might help us identify your problem better.

3. PY 222

PY 222 <b>DF King</b>

Reading what you have typed, I suppect that it could be an overheating problem.

Do try to change your heatsink and fan and see what happens.

4. dreamer

dreamer Newbie

agree, that's exactly how i troubleshoot my friend's pc... but need to find a friend with similar setup so that u can switch each and every component to test, but u can find out the problem for sure.

5. lptech

lptech Newbie

Have you tested the motherboard outside the case? I always test the components out before installing inside the case. The CPU and Heatsink/Fan must interface flat and squarely or it will overheat! Try using Arctic Silver Thermal Compound between CPU and Heatsink/Fan if available. It's the best thermal compound available!

Again, if you think that the power supply is suspect, then check out this link to see if your power supply is adequate or not! They have wattage consumption figures for each component that goes in your system!

http://www.pcpowercooling.com/maxpc/index_cases.htm

I find that using the figures on the chart helps in configuring what my needs are as far as wattage requirements when building systems. Hope that the info helps you out. 8)