need some views from the pro's about HDD

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by SkylineRemix, Dec 30, 2007.

1. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

I only put 10 Gb for my xp :lol:

2. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

I run a virtual machine with 5GB, and I am thinking about remaking it with 3GB because it's really used for OS tweak testing and that's all.

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I used to run with just 10GB. Now I'm running with 20GB, and it's running out of space soon! :haha:

4. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

I couldn't afford to put more than 10 Gb :lol:

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

You must be using a notebook. :mrgreen:

6. diggiddi

diggiddi Newbie

Hi guys I just signed up and not very sure of the protocol for new members. I hope I am welcome here.

Anyway I have a similar issue with my HDD situation.
    I currently have a 20gb Quantum fireball (orig equipment) that is currently idle in my machine, two internal Seagates an 80gb and a 320gbSATA & an external 80Gb Iomega(USB). The 80gb is my C drive with XP home on it.When I bought the 320 I transferred everything to it but I picked a virus and it messed up the OS so I just stuck with the 80. Problem is the 80 is getting full and I plan on purchasing a 500

I mainly use the pc for web/music and a few games. The bulk of my usage would be for storing my music. I also have Ubuntu installed on a logical drive on the 320 and plan on installing a few other varieties of Linux. I really need some advice on how to set up my rig the right way. Lest i forget the 320 has my laptop backed up to it since its drive just failed. My rig has only 3 slots for drives so I guess I'll have to pop out the old 20g and put that in an external enclosure or could I attach it with a velcro to the underside of the hard drive tray in the pc?

Synopsis Internal-20/80/320Sata, External-80gb
    Want internal 500sata
    Thanks

7. hjlavery

hjlavery Newbie

Hia and welcome Diggiddi!

When you say that your rig only has 3 slots do you mean physical slots inside the case or SATA ports on the motherboard?

if you mean the former you could grab something like This Mobile rack that allows you to convert 5.25" bays to 3.5" bays, and if it is the later you can pick up a 2 port PCI SATA card for under USD$20 off ebay.

8. Adrian Wong

Hi diggiddi,

As I understand it, your case / chassis does not have enough drive bays to support the 4th or 5th hard drive. hjlavery's idea of converting some 5.25" drive bays to 3.25" bays is a good option.

Otherwise, what you should do is decide which drives you want to keep internal... and use the others as external drives. It would be a good idea to keep the largest hard drives internal. You can then buy an external USB case and use it to store data in your smaller hard drives.

9. diggiddi

diggiddi Newbie

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I'll buy an external enclosure for the 20 gb and replace it with the 500. That solves just one problem any solutions for the others?

BTW I already have a PCI sata/raid controller and yes I meant no internal space for another drive

10. Adrian Wong

Sorry, what other problems do you have?

BTW, you might want to start a new thread on your other problems. :beer:

11. diggiddi

diggiddi Newbie

OK I was trying to figure out how best to partition my drives and organize everything. I think I figured it out

on 500gb drive, partitition into 320gb, 2*80gb and 20gb to mirror all my drives
    On the first 80gb partition -10gb for xp/70 programs and media
    2nd 80gb backup for my portable drive
    on 320gb 100gb for 5 diff distros of linux(20gb each)/220gb for media
    on the last 20gb Ubuntu

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  12. Adrian Wong

Oh, that depends on your usage. It's very hard to advise on that aspect because it varies from user to user.

13. hjlavery

hjlavery Newbie

Rather then run 5 different partitions for your linux distros you might want to run them as virtual machines, as you can then adjust the size of their drives without having to mess about reformating.

14. diggiddi

diggiddi Newbie

Ok sounds great but VM player keeps
    telling me I don't have enough memory to run it(640mb on system) By the way ae virtual machines slower than real ones?
    I finally got the 500gb hd and am in the process of reformatting cloning moving deleting and organizing all my drives. I did a 20(Xp)60gb(programs and storage for the 80gb and may go the Virtual pc route if I can get it to work. I appreciate all the input everyone has given :thumb: