Need suggestions for graphic cards

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by SkylineRemix, Nov 26, 2009.

1. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

Hi All,

It's been some time since I last visit the forum here. But I do visit the main page often. Haha

Anyway... I believe my 2 years old graphic card has been overheated, I keep seeing a few vertical dotted line in BIOS and starting up of windows and could not log into Windows at all. I'm guessing that it would be the time to replace the GC, that is if the problem lies with the GC. I've plug out the card from my system and detach the fan off the card to brush off all the dust that accumulates in the fan, plug it back and back into the system and I'm still back to square one.

Another thing is that I'm sorta low on budget this time to get a replacement for the card (about Ringgit Malaysia 150 to 300). Would a 8400GS be sufficient for normal use?

Here is my specs for my 2 years old system:
    -Asus P5N-E SLI
    -2 x 1GB Cosair DDR2 667
    -Enermax 460W PSU (Can't remember what model was it)
    -Intel C2D E4300

I'm also considering between 9500GT and GT 220. The thing is that this computer here does not really game that much. Mainly using it as a server in the house for downloads, file sharing and printer sharing. The most would probably be Need For Speed occasionally. I too hardly game as of now.

My concern is that if it's worth to spend on newer GC for my 2 year old system? Don't think that there will be another PC for this year or next year either because everyone in the house have a laptop/netbook each.

Please comment.

Thank You

(*Goodness... I just noticed that my signature has my specs on it... haha)

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Welcome back, SkylineRemix! :thumb:

Well, if you do not really game, then just about ANY graphics card will do. Just get something low-powered and cheap. :thumb:

3. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

I had Gigabyte 8400GS in mind actually... costing me about RM130 to RM150. That one should be low powered right?

Is it true that GT 220 and GT 240 is considered as lower end graphic cards?

Thanks again...

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I forgot to reply here. I would choose something like 4670. Then again, if you say you don't really game much, then any card will do, even built in.

5. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

Haha... I do actually hope that my motherboard has a build in one too... Unfortunately... SLI motherboard mah...

How much does 4670 cost at the moment?

6. Adrian Wong

Lower-end, yes, but they are good enough for what you do IMHO. FYI, the GT 240 is about the same performance level as the GeForce 9600 GT. Look out for our upcoming review of the GeForce GT 240.

7. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

i've tested the GT 240 GDDR5 version (refer to my blog) and my take is that it's is around the performance of 9600GT and 9600GT Low Power (underclocked).

consumes less power compared to 9600GT but more than 9600GT LP. has more CUDA core.

here's some informative bits commented by one of my readers.

8. Adrian Wong

Yeah, in that sense, it is a superior solution to the GeForce 9600 GT.

9. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

Finally got it replace already.

Decided to get Gigabyte 8400GS instead because really... hardly game anyway... even if gaming is necessary, I would probably consider another custom build since this comp is already 2+ years old.

The cool thing is that the GC has a HDMI output port... will look good when my there's a plasma TV in my house.

10. Adrian Wong

Yeah, a HDMI port is useful if you intend to hook it up to your plasma TV. :thumb:

11. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

It will even transmit sound via HDMI. Very convenient. :thumb:

12. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

I did consider the Asus 8400GS Silent for RM120. But... what concerns me is that there's no fan for the GC... worried that it may overheat without warning...

So instead, pay extra RM9 to get the Gigabyte one with fan and HDMI port (which currently I don't need it yet).

13. Adrian Wong

Don't worry. If it's using a passive cooler (heatsink), then it will not overheat as they would have tested it to make sure that the heatsink is more than enough to dissipate the low thermal output.

Getting one with a fan is good... especially if it comes with such a small price premium. The best thing is it also comes with HDMI output!

14. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

true true... The asus one does not have HDMI port i think... But as of now... the HDMI port for me is useless until my house TV is changed to plasma or LCD TV with HDMI support...

Btw, on such situation, the GC by right is only handling the graphics. If plug into a HDMI port, does that mean that the sounds output travels through the graphic card?