Network problems with ShareAza 2.2

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by Adrian Wong, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Just upgraded ShareAza 2.1 to 2.2 a few weeks back. Immediately noticed some problems when I used it with my cousin's ADSL connection.

After some time (15-30 minutes), ShareAza apparently maxes out the number of connections supported by the Aztech router-modem.

So, I can no longer browse the Internet or connect to any IM networks. Even the ShareAza and Bittorrent downloads stop. Essentially, the router-modem is so saturated, it just stops working.

The possible solutions would be to switch the modem's router functions off and use a separate router, or change the router-modem, or kill the ShareAza process. I've also tried limiting the number of connections but that still failed. :think:

So, now that I have my own ADSL connection, I thought I would give it a try. Unfortunately, I'm still facing the same problem.

I'm now using the new Aztech 600E modem, which also has built-in router functions. But I'm using the Linksys WRT54G WiFi router instead. Still, I'm not sure if the Aztech modem's router functions are turned off. :think:

Does anyone have the same problem with ShareAza? Or is it a Linksys or Aztech problem? :think:

2. Jeremy

Jeremy Black Sheep

If I'm not mistaken, you should limit both the upload and download bandwidth because when you saturate your upload bandwidth, you won't be able to send queries or establish other new connections.

3. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Dump Shareaza and use Limewire. hahaha

4. Adrian Wong

Actually, already tried that. I've always limited uploads and downloads.

It's just that ShareAza runs for a while and then EVERYTHING quits working. I have to disconnect the notebook from the network and reconnect before it starts working again. :wall:

5. Adrian Wong

LOL! What I like about ShareAza is that it connects to many networks, even Limewire and Bittorrent.

6. Jeremy

Jeremy Black Sheep

That's odd, since you've limited both your upstream and downstream, presuming this is the global configuration, it shouldn't break your network. Perhaps you could try isolating each network to see which transfer rate exceeds your global configuration.

7. Adrian Wong

Actually, there's no transfer rate. Nothing is transferring to or from the PC that ShareAza is running on.