New build for next year, basic info wanted.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by 1031982, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

So in the end you still need to pay :haha:

2. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

I have the ThermalTake Pure power 560W.
    The stats and product info page are here. It's not an easy page to find any more.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  3. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

It's enough for your new setup :mrgreen:

4. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

I am stuck between cases now...
    These are the cases :
    Cooler Master Centurion 5

APEX
    With the APEX case, I would be getting these replacement fans.
    80MM
    90MM

Yes, I am going for more quiet, and I know the cost is more then not doing so.

Not sure what way to go, so any input would be nice. I don't like to go entirely off reviews, and the count is too far off for a proper estimate IMO.

Also, I am thinking about just getting the AMD Phenom 8450.

The board I am getting is the GIGABYTE GA-MA770-DS3.
    Video will be a Radeon HD 3450 from Sapphire, and RAM will be 2 of the Crucial Ballistix 1GB.

I do multi-task a lot, and do some AV conversion/encoding. Being able to do that at a decent speed AND use my PC would be really nice, and this seems doable.

Also, I am going to need an IDE to SATA adapter. I would like to keep the 320GB HDD inside the PC, but I don't want to replace it yet. It's used for data only, no programs or OS and is a lot cheaper to get something to make it work then to replace it. Any ideas on a decent one?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  5. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

The Centurion has more space, and better airflow too since the APEX one only has one fan.. Why are you planning on buying two replacement fans though? As far as I can see you can only mount one fan in the APEX case.

By they way, isn't the black thing at the bottom of the motherboard below the PCI slot an IDE connector? I'm not sure, I don't use IDE :p

6. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

The APEX has room in th efront for another fan. That., and the fan replacements would be a lot quieter then the one included, makeing it equal to what's in the Cooler Master.

Yes, the board has a single IDE connector, but I hvae 3 IDE devices I want to keep. DVD-Rom, DVD-RW, and one HDD. Because of cable leingth's, makeing the HDD a SATA works out better.

So, the Centurion has more space, that's tempting, very much so.

7. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

I don't recommend Phenom X3. Even AMD's own Athlon X2 6400+ is almost as fast as X3 in video encoding.

AnandTech: AMD's Phenom X3 8000 Series: Fighting Two Cores with Three?

I know the X3 is really cheap... but if budget allows don't ever get the Phenom X3 :) I'd rather compromise on something else to get a proper CPU/mainboard combo. Then again, the choice is yours ;)

Here are the stuff you need :mrgreen:
    Newegg.com - IDE to SATA
    I think they are more or less the same, but I would choose the smaller sized ones.

8. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Why are you not considering C2D or C2Q? They are much faster than Phenom.

9. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Phenom X3 was a idea, that is not going to happen now.
    As for using an Intel chip, they are too costly. I can get a better 64 X2 AMD processor, like the 6000+ or I might push for a Phenom 9600 if it fits the money. Most likely, I will just get the 6000.

10. Chai

What about lower end C2D?

11. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

12. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

From what I could see, there are very few boards I could afford that seem to be stable, and have similar features. The CPU would be limited, making some "pauses" during playback of HD from what I have read on setups I am limited to. I would LIKE to get an Intel, but unfortunately, the cheaper the better. And regardless, whatever I get it's a lot quicker then what I have now.

Again, if I had the money and time, I would save up some side cash and get an Intel based system, but my system just did the little alarm again for a second, meaning I will have to order most likely this month stretching funds rather tightly. :(

13. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

I think an overclocked E7200 should do the trick.

14. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

15. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Ok, I did a lot of comparisons, and looked at a lot of data.
    Chai, you will be glad to know I am planning on getting a C2D.
    Below are the parts I will be ordering, and after that everything that will be transferring over. I would like verification that this is a good buy for my needs, and that the PSU will handle the load. (It should, part of the reason I got it was to go to my next build.)
    Also, remember I plan on using this system to play/view HD videos. That will most likely be the most stressful thing run with the exception of the initial burn-in I do with all systems I build. I also plan on eventually upgrading parts as time goes by.

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3R Motherboard
    Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 CPU
    2 Kingston HyperX 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 - I want to note that this is to match the CPU's FSB, and unfortunately it comes with only one stick as far as I can tell. But that works out should I need to RMA one stick. :)
    Rosewill RC-204 IDE to SATA Mini Vertical Bridge - As far as I can tell, this is the most reliable one. In addition, it seems people keep playing in there system, where once set up I will only go in for upgrades.
    Radeon HD 3450 with 512MB VRAM
    COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 case

I am transferring my HDD's (One SATA and one IDE to be used with the IDE to SATA adapter), DVD drive, DVD-RW drive, Floppy disk drive, Sound Blaster Audigy ZS2 with I/O panel, KWorld PCI video capture card (Used to convert VHS to DVD), and the ThermalTake 560W PurePower PSU.

The total cost with 3 day shipping will be $423.55 (USD).
    Anyone who read the explanation at the top, there is more now. Turns out my board decided to up the voltage top the CPU to try to push more power out. That's the cause of the noise, but it also damaged my CPU. I can use it, obviously, but anything complex causes either a BSOD or a system lockup. I can run a stress test on the CPU alone for about 3 minutes before it crashes.
    Thus, I will be ordering this stuff after I have gotten some input, as well as (if needed) changing or adding some minor things.
    I ran a 3D rendering that only uses the video card without problems for a good 20 minutes, and Memtest 86 shows everything is clean. I even had some spare drives hooked to the PSU and I ran some HDD benchmarks with no issue.

16. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

1066 is not really how it works with FSB/RAM ratio. 1066 is quad pumped so real the CPU FSB is 1066/4=266. You would only require RAM with 2x266=533MHZ to match it. In this case you will have a ratio of 1:4 instead.

17. Chai

It's best to run at 1:1, since memory bandwidth is not the main issue now.

18. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Well, the board will only take a 667 at the minimal.
    I'll just get a pare of the Corsair Value Select 1GB's. I get that brand a lot, and I had one failure. They replaced it and never had another issue. Over 20 sticks with there name.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  19. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

Tests show that the difference between 1:1 and any other FSB/RAM ratio has minimal effect on performance. Can't find the link though.

20. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

So, this setup looks good then, and the PSU will be good for this?