Nikon Telephoto Zoom Lenses

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Adrian Wong, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hello everyone!

Just wanted to initiate a discussion on Nikon's range of telephoto zoom lenses.

I think the focus of many users is mainly on the 70-210mm and 80-200mm lenses.

When it comes to the 70-210mm, Ken Rockwell's review of the Nikkor AF-D 70-210mm f/4.5-5.6 was so good that it has become a really overpriced lens. Is this lens really that much better than the older non-D AF 70-210mm f/4.5-5.6?

A better but more expensive alternative might be to go for the 80-200mm f/2.8 lenses. But here, there are quite a few versions.

1. AF 80-200mm f/2.8 - push-pull zoom, slow auto-focus, no lens collar.

2. AF-D 80-200mm f/2.8 - push-pull zoom, slow auto-focus, no lens collar, with distance information.

3. AF-D 80-200mm f/2.8 - ring zoom, fast auto-focus, with lens collar and distance information.

4. AF-S 80-200mm f/2.8 - ring zoom, faster and quieter auto-focus, with lens collar and distance information.

Now, the AF-S 80-200mm f/2.8 is supposedly replaced by the AF-S 70-200mm VR ED-IF.

The thing is has anyone tried the non-D 80-200mm lens or even the first generation AF-D 80-200mm lens? I wonder how much slower is the auto-focus, compared to the second generation AF-D 80-200mm as well as the AF-S 80-200mm. :think:

Optically though, I've read that all the 80-200mm lens perform about the same.

Oh well, do give me your thoughts about Nikon's telephoto zoom lenses if you will. Thanks!

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I doubt anyone here is rich enough to have tested 2 of those lenses, these are freaking expensive lens! Unless you are a pro photogs...

3. Adrian Wong

Well, we can still discuss those lenses or any other good Nikon telephoto lenses.

Personally, I have no idea how third-party lenses from the likes of Sigma, Tamron, etc. perform compared to the Nikkor telephoto lenses. If anyone here can give us an idea of their performance, that would be great. :thumb:

4. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Depends what your requirements are i guess.

Optically, Sigma's and Tamron's lenses aren't bad at all. In fact, some of the more popular lenses are Sigma's and not Nikon's. HOwever, when it comes to focusing speeds, Nikkor's are still much faster thanks to the Silent Wave Motor...

If focusing speed is not a concern, then i dun think it's a concern at all. Also, in sports photography, the more important feature is actually the continous-AF feature. If the camera C-AF is good, then a slower AF lens would peform well too as the camera is able to track the subject well... that's where D2x and 1DMarkII comes in and perform.. not even the 20D or D70...

5. Chai

The tools can only help you this much. The person behind the camera still determines the outcome of the shot. I still managed to capture pretty decent shots without needing AF when I was at Sepang! I don't think I will ever need AF-C. But it's a good luxury to have, but not compulsary. ;)

TBH, Nikon has pretty limited telephoto zoom lineup. The only good ones I can think of is 80-400VR which is a freaking slow lens, or 70-200VR. The rest are pretty much cheap lens. 80-200 are pretty good, but they are not cheap either, especially the AF-S version, and they are running out of stock. In comparison with Canon, even the 70-200L has 3 different versions! From cheap to expensive lens.

But sadly, Nikon only offers expensive ones new, or really cheap toy lens like 70-300G.

6. peaz

LOL. Of course. Photographers have been taking great photographs using technology as old as half a century... but till today, some of those shots are simply just classic.

7. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. I thought Sigma has that USM (Ultrasonic Motor)/S (Silent Wave)-technology too? In the form of HSM (Hyper Sonic Motor)? :think:

BTW, the main advantages of USM or Silent Wave are the ability to immediately manually focus the lens as well as quieter focusing. It may be faster at focusing but I don't think that's the main criteria for this technology.

8. Adrian Wong

ROTFL! Needless to say. Like I always say, it's the photographer that counts. ;)

That's why I don't mind playing with even cheap lens. In fact, I'm considering alternatives like Sigma or Tamron.

I think what matters is playing with your equipment so that you know them inside out. This will ensure you won't miss a great photo opportunity when it presents itself.

9. peaz

Yup that's right. But i think they are still not as fast as Nikkors or Canons.. but then again, they are not that slow either...

10. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

what happens if you place a magnifier lens in front of ur cam? :confused: :mrgreen:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2005
  11. Donovan

Donovan Newbie

It depends on photographer need i think. If you shoot non moving objects (models, structures, building, landscape) you dont need any fast focusing lens. If you frequently shoot moving objects (sport, street photography, animals), a fast focusing lens is a must have.

I've used 80-200 push pull for shooting model, no probs with focusing speed.
    I've used 80-200 AF-S on stage shot and wedding candid and it works very nice.

I'm also no complaint using Sigma 70-200 F/2.8 HSM. Focus still fast enough and result is still amazing.

But the best of all, 70-200 VR is the one. It can fulfill my needs on every tele condition. But it is very expensive.

12. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

Yeah you should listen to Donovan......

GOOOOOOOOO AF-S VR !!!!!!!!!! :thumb:

:)atwl

13. Chai

Yeah, and tung is getting one for me! :dance:

14. Adrian Wong

Is push-pull zoom a hassle to deal with? Or is it actually better? I haven't tried one before. Only ring zooms. :think:

The Sigma 50-500mm f/4-5.6 is a very interesting lens. Such a great zoom range. And yet a relatively small package. :thumb:

15. Adrian Wong

ROTFL!! :haha:

One can tell that atwl is a very rich guy. :haha:

16. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

when don comes over....ask him bring and we can pull like madman :thumb: :mrgreen: :haha:

17. Chai

Aiya...peaz has some push pull lens wat... test with his loh, albeit a bit loose! :haha:

18. Adrian Wong

LOL! We will all do that when Don comes over ... or when I next see Ken. :twisted: