No Dial Tone

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by Domster, Jan 1, 2006.

1. Domster

Domster Newbie

Hi.
    I realise that most of you probably have broadband but I thought I'd ask your advice on this anyway. I hope I don't get booed off-stage.

Here's my old setup

AMD Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego
    Thermaltake Silent Purepower 460W PSU
    Epox 9HDAI Pro with Via K8T800 Pro chipset
    Gainward 6800le 128mb.
    1gb Corsair TWINX PC3200 RAM.

Now, I can't get broadband upwhere I am, so I need a dial-up modem. They're fairly cheap so I bought a PCI 56kbps modem made by some nameless company. I used it with my old rig which, by the way, used Windows XP Sp2. It worked fine.

I upgraded yesterday and here's what I've got now.

Same processor.
    DFI LanParty NF4 SLI-DR Expert.
    Seasonic 600W PSU
    Mushkin Redline 2Gb XP4000 eXtreme Performance RAM
    XFX 256mb 7800GTX GDDR3 XXX 490mhz/1.3ghz.

I stuck in the same PCI modem and when I try to dial up the net, it says it's not getting a dial tone. Some people said that maybe Windows XP dosen't like old technology but it's the same Windows XP disk that I used on my last build and it worked fine then.

I turned off the Firewall but still no dial tone. I made sure the drivers were all installed ok and they were.

I checked my internet settings, they were fine but still no dial tone.

I'm now using the same pci modem in a 10 year old computer that's running Windows XP and it's fine.

I'm at a loss here. I'm gonna buy a new one on Monday but I've a funny feelin' that it won't make a blind bit of difference.

I hope someone here can help me. I've tried other forums including DFI-Street but they just told me to update my drivers.

2. AAY

AAY ARP Reviewer

Hmmm...a few questions:
    1. When you try to dial a number, can you hear a gentle click from the modem? (This should be the relay clicking to go off hook)
    2. When the modem tries to dial, can you try picking up another phone connected to the same line to see whether the modem really is going off hook?

Of course I assume you've got the phone jack plugged into 'Line' and not 'Phone' :D (Don't laugh...I've made that mistake more than once!) and you've tried a known good phone cord/phone jack as well...

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Tried another PCI slot?

4. Domster

Domster Newbie

Thanks for the replies.

I've tried all three PCI slots and it made no difference. I changed the phone cable just in case and even tried a different phone socket. No change. I haven't actually listened to see if it's going off the hook but I'll have a listen next time but the modem worked just fine on my last rig with the same processor and Windows XP SP2 and it's running fine on this Intel Pentium lll Gateway computer which I'm using now and is also running Windows XP.

I'm gonna buy a new one tomorrow anyway and maybe that'll solve all me problems but I've just got this niggling feeling that the modem isn't the problem. I hope I'm wrong.

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Did you check the Device Manager to see if your modem is working right? :think:

6. Shadowfire

Shadowfire Newbie

I have a Dial up modem so yah i know what your problem you have a Modem thats a lil bit slow so you can speed it up by going in device manager go to modems and find your modem and its not the Communications between 2 computers it may be called Lucent Win Modem and dubble click and then open the modem tab you will see wait for dial tone just un check that and restart you should be good by doing this your makeing it dial streght
    if that wont work open you phone number should be on the dialer and add a p may be like 3-4 by puting a p ur makeing your modem pause it works trust me

7. LunatikBunnie

LunatikBunnie Newbie

Might be a hardware clash... uninstall all drivers and reinstall D:

8. aKho

aKho beat around the bush

where's your fullstop friend? my head a bit reeling after reading through that.. :haha:

anyways, if your determined to get a new modem, try going for an external.. might be some mobo incompatibility with old pci cards.. good luck!

9. Domster

Domster Newbie

Thanks for all the replies.

When the modem wouldn't work, I first changed the phone cable but I still didn't get a dial tone.

Then I tried a different phone socket but still couldn't get anything.

Next, I tried each one of the PCI slots but nothing.

Then I was playing Call of Duty 2 and something really bad happened to me computer. Dunno what but it wouldn't let me into Windows, not even in Safe Mode and it wouldn't let me do a repair install. It would go as far as 21% and stop.

So, I did a fresh install, installed all the mobo drivers and before I did anything else, I thought I'd try the modem drivers and see if it'll connect.

I installed the drivers from the installation CD and when I still got no dial tone, I went to the Intel website and downloaded an updated driver but, still no joy.

I turned off the Firewall......no dial tone.

I unticked the "Wait for dial tone before dialing" option but.....nothing.....pure silence.

I queried the modem in Device Manager and it came back successful and when I look at the modem in Device Manager it says, "All drivers installed and working properly".

I then did a straight to Com 3 driverless Hiper Terminal test. I tried my service provider but.......no dial tone.

I went into BIOS and disabled all my LAN options just in case they were interfering somehow but......no dial tone.

I went into "System Information" to see if there was an IRQ conflict with my modem but nope, it says everything's fine.

Shadowfire, I haven't tried that 'p' in front of the phone number. That is what you mean isn't it?? I haven't heard of that before. I may as well give it a go.

It'll definitely be a USB external modem for me next.

Here's something a little off the topic though.

I thought I'd try a BIOS flash, v.12/07. Did it fine, no hassle. It didn't do anything for my modem though but what it did do was stop my USB keyboard from working when I'm in BIOS. Before I flashed, I had the "Enable USB Keyboard support" option checked and it worked fine in BIOS but since I flashed, the keyboard "Saitek Eclipse", dosen't light up till it starts loading Windows. I reset the BIOS via the jumper on the board and re did my BIOS settings to support my keyboard but it still dosen't work. Any ideas?

Thanks again for all your replies.

10. aKho

aKho beat around the bush

since your upgraded parts is still under warranty, why not bring it in the shop and let them check it out.. could be faulty mobo? bad Bios? really a waste of $$$ to get an external modem when you just recently bought an internal one.. :think: