Notebook Purchase Fiasco!

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, Dec 3, 2004.

1. kennexionz

kennexionz Newbie

whoa... after reading this I'm starting to get a lil' worried coz I am planning to get the Aspire 1691WLMi.... :shock: hmmm... I do hope I will not go thru the same problem :pray:

Thank for the tips in the article regarding the warranty thingy as that did not cross my mind before (my first time getting a laptop) Coz I do plan up up my RAM to 1GHz....

PRAY HARD FOR ME PPL! :pray:

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

LOL! Yeah, you BETTER get them to do the upgrade for you if you want it.

But IMHO, it's cheaper to get the upgrade yourself. Just make sure the dealer agrees BEFOREHAND to insert the module for you and replace the Acer warranty sticker.

3. m00j

m00j Newbie

Thats what I like about the BenQ. No warranty sticker on the RAM, I can upgrade it myself. There is one on the Hard drive but apparently that will only void any hard drive related warranty problems so I am essentially in the clear for any upgrade.

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hmm.. Are you sure? :think:

When I asked the BenQ technician, he told me we are not supposed to touch the hard disk.. until the warranty expires. :confused:

5. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Hmmm i think you better clarify it again with the BenQ on their policy on that. Cos here in Malaysia, any voiding of warranty cancels the full notebook warranty.

6. m00j

m00j Newbie

Hmm better check that then. I don't plan to change the hard drive for a while. The warranty will have ended before I do. It was just good to know should I find I needed it upgraded. I will check with BenQ before I do it then.

7. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

I intend to change the hard disk myself too as soon as the warranty goes. wanna get a 7200RPM drive :)

8. Conquest

Conquest Newbie

oh my, after having read all 10 paging levels on notebook, im not sure if im well versed or well angered with dealers. anyway part of my r&d on notebooks to know malaysians + market.

one of the models not mentioned so far was IBM Thinkpad. wonder if this thread were to continue with inclusion of a neg/pos review on this type of brand. :think:

somehow rather this notebook issue reminds me of my HP IPAQ 5550 which now lies some corners of my room. reason... HP charging me rm1.3K to change motherboard just bcoz the firmware corrupted.

technologies are not meant to last in relative to humans aging, but somehow we think otherwise... hahah. just as Einstein classified compound interest as 8th wonders of the world, i think this thread issue is the 9th. hahhaha :wall: