Notebook Purchase Fiasco!

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, Dec 3, 2004.

1. doraemon

doraemon Just Started

faster la.....LOL :haha:

2. gogo2

gogo2 Newbie

Is there a possibility that Mr Adrian is being bribed by Mr Benq not to write about them? :wicked:

3. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

or maybe BenQ blackmailed him :haha:

"Your Warranty Will Be Voided If You Write That Article" :haha:

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

LOL! No such thing!! :haha:

I've just been busy travelling up and down. Don't forget, I'm preparing for my trip to Macau, HK and China! :mrgreen:

5. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

make sure you finish the article before you go on holiday :p

6. peonking

peonking Newbie

btw how much is those Jetart's Xcool eh.. my acer aspire 1682 (yeah it is the 16xx series adrian was hunting for earlier)
    my lappy tends to get hot when i play non stop 5-6 hrs (warcraft)

7. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

The Jetart Xcool NP4000 has an official price of USD 49.95. :mrgreen:

8. peonking

peonking Newbie

wow ...usd 50 tat can almost get me a new 256 RAM ledi
    i think i'll bailed out of that..
    btw anyone here got a list of all the so-called acer authorised service centre ah .. coz i really need the ram upgrade... laggy after game is frustrating... :(

9. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Well, that's the 'official' price ;) of course. it's also a premium product. You could get the cheaper one without the USB hub.

and as for the authorised service centres... there are basically any one of those highpoint service centre.
    http://www.highpoint.com.my/
    You could try giving them a call and see if they can help you or not. of course, if they give you some crap answers, you can always point them out to our site and this forums :)

10. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Notebook Fiasco Episode III : Post-Purchase Blues!

Buying notebooks was supposed to be a pretty clear-cut affair. Determine what you need, eyeball the available notebooks and choose the best one that suits your needs. Simple, no?

Unfortunately, this was not to be as Ken and Adrian discovered. Check out Episode III : Post-Purchase Blues and find out what happened next!

[​IMG]

Link : Notebook Fiasco Episode III : Post-Purchase Blues!

11. m00j

m00j Newbie

Gah! I was just about to turn of the compy and go to sleep and you post this! now I _have_ to read it first :p

This may well determine the outcome of my purchasing too, as I am tossing up between the Benq Joybook 7000 v07 and this: http://www.tpg.com.au/online/intel_notebook.php which is apparently very good (and very good value).

Edit: read it now.

Well you guys certainly have been EXTREMELY unlucky! There are two versions of the notebook in Australia (well at least on benq.com.au - I can't find the better one in stores!) the only difference that I can see is you trade the 40Gig HDD and XP Pro for a 60Gig with XP Home (sort of a one plus one minus trade!)

Can I ask one quick question about the laptop? How much does it actually weight? If you have time could you put it on a set of scales?

The weight is the major reason I would choose it over a different laptop but have heard all sorts of figures ranging from 1.95Kg with battery (in reviews) to 2.2Kg (unknown about battery) on Benq's site to 2.99Kg (with battery) on retailers site.

At 2.99Kg the laptop is not attractive to me. I can get lighter with better specs and at a cheaper price to boot! If it is around the 2Kg mark though then I will most likely be snapping one up (despite my reservations over what you have gone through).

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 15, 2005
  12. peaz

if it's really the Joybook 7000, then it's definately not 2.99kg. its just 2.09kg with the battery. Anyways, the review is coming up soon so you might want to read it 1st before you purchase it? Unless of course if you've already personally tested it... then by all means purchase it if you really liked it :)

13. protomech

protomech Newbie

It may have been posted already - but it's likely that that charging will be disabled when the battery is nearly full - the idea is to preserve battery life by reducing charging hysteresis. Charging the battery for a short period of time every hour or so to keep it absolutely full is a good way to shorten the life of the battery..

14. m00j

m00j Newbie

Excelent! How long until the review? I can probably wait until late Feburary to purchase but the earlier the better.

I have been searching high and low for a place to see it in Australia - My normal computer shop has them but they are more of an e-warehouse, order online and pick up or ship when ready. No showroom floor to speak of. Ironically, in today's newspaper I found it advertised at a local electronics/electrical store - I didn't even know they sold computers - and at a good price, to top it all off I found it again cheaper on another page.

I am really hoping I can get a hard drive upgrade though. It comes with a 40 Gig here (512Mb ram so there is no probs there) but I don't think any of the cheaper retailers will swap the disk over for me (without voiding the warranty at least) :wall:. Hope I don't have huge problems like you with it.

Eagerly awaiting the review, there are so few around and the ones that are seem to have outdated specs.

15. peaz

It should take too long for the review to be up :) I doubt BenQ would want to allow the change of hard disk. we've asked them here and they said they don't accept requests for a different option for hard disks. :wall:

16. m00j

m00j Newbie

I assume you mean should not?

Apparently changing the Hard disk voids the warranty on the hard disk or any problem related to it. Things like faulty screen/bad memory etc will still be covered. If they can't I can get by on 40Gig and just keep the majority of stuff on my desktop. Then I can spend the money I would have on the hard drive on a memory upgrade.

17. doraemon

doraemon Just Started

finally..... :thumb:

18. doraemon

doraemon Just Started

walau....seem like the BenQ having a bad bad service, same like acer!!! :doh:

19. peonking

peonking Newbie

heheh guess wat ... i send an email to highpoint and ask them whether any extra charges incurred if i were to get my own memory module instead of getting new ones at a crazy price from them....

this is wat i get ...

"Any upgrades must be done at Acer Service Centre or Acer Authorised Dealer. We will charge RM80 for the installation of the RAM. Thanks."

just simply unscrew and slot in the memory and put all back together could cost me 80 bucks... :shock:
    nevertheless its definitely cheaper than getting new memory from them at a shocking price of RM350 for a 256MB RAM

20. peaz

lol yes... I meant should not :

Yes, spend more for a RAM upgrade to 1GB. it's worth it.