NVIDIA 6600GT Giveaway Contest

Discussion in 'Contests!' started by Adrian Wong, May 24, 2005.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Okay, we have an NVIDIA 6600GT with 128MB of RAM here. Any suggestions for a giveaway contest?

Since this is a relatively low-end prize, we should run something simple and quick (1 week?). But it should also benefit ARP in some way. Any ideas?

Also, anyone interested in running this one?

2. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

Low end prize? :hand: It is a good card for someone in need of an upgrade. The cheapest I could find it here was $159 USD. Thats not really "low-end" for someone on a budget. :thumb:

How about a "tell friends about ARP" or recruit contest that is won by the person that invites or "signs up" the most new members. :think:

...something else just came to mind... :roll:

Our local newspaper runs a mini-contest in which participants take a photo of person(s) holding the front page (or ARP sign) in a famous place or setting. I know this opens doors for photochopping, but it will surely be fun to judge. We would just need a picture (say ARP logo and banner) that one can print out and then go have picture taken. Just imagine ARP in front of Eiffel tower in Paris... :thumb:

3. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. The "tell your friends about ARP" contest is something I've been thinking of running for some time. But just how can we do that? :think:

I think we can check the number of referrals that each person gets.. but how do we make sure they don't abuse it and just create hundreds of false members?

Hehe.. I like the photo contest.. It's kind of like the one we ran for the BOG book. But the trouble is many people don't like to post their own pictures online. :wall:

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Well, there's a flaw with the "tell friends about ARP", I can always sign up the forum with multiple accounts...

5. Adrian Wong

Exactly. :wall: We need a more foolproof plan or idea. :think:

Maybe each referral must be active (i.e. post at least 25 posts?) for that referral to be counted? :think:

6. Adrian Wong

Any suggestions? Are you guys going to actually leave this contest to me again? Haha.. If so, this is going to be another crappy contest! :haha:

7. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

give it to me :shifty: j/k

but seriously i have no idea what contest to hold .. :think:

guess the name/manufacturer of the 6600GT card :shifty:
    contestents must PM the admin :shifty:

ahh .. just a suggestion

8. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

Before we jump the gun on another "crappy contest" (you said it Adrian, not me) I suggest we make a list of things that "benefit ARP" like you have mentioned above. This way it may become more obvious what to hold contest for... :think:

My first ideas...

• Publicity or Exposure
    • Advertising revenue
    • additional recognition of the Definitive BIOS Opt. guide
    • more "meaningful" traffic and visitors
    • broadening the capacity to review hardware, etc...

From these types of topics/ideas, it should be easier to create a contest. Maybe like Prize goes to the person with the most undiscovered BIOS option(s). Best Overclock or most unusual Mod, best 3dMark score, etc...

What are your ideas and benefitting ARP?

9. Adrian Wong

Thanks, Ishtim. :thumb:

Well, I think we need to develop the forums. It's quite surprising, I think, to see most of our visitors prefer to read our posts, rather than participate.

Our contests should attempt to tip them over into participation mode, instead of just playing the part of a silent reader.

In the past, we have tried the most active poster contest, which should actually encourage people to post. However, once they see someone being very active, they all actually gave up. :doh:

So, I guess we will have to find a better way to do it. Maybe everyone who makes at least 1000 posts this week will be entered into a "pot", from which we will randomly draw a name to determine the winner? :think:

10. zy

good idea.. but that means usually for the older members.. try reducing it ? :p
    well .. must try to promote more new members.. so we give them 1 week to post ? :p

11. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

How about the top 50 posters or something, then random draw from that? :think: The barracuda give-away contest produced new members (Giraffe Hunter, etc...) so I think it's worth a shot at a top-poster drawing. :thumb:

12. Chai

How about we allow anyone with 1000+ posts and above to participate in the contest, give them maybe 2 weeks or something to catch up if they are below 1000, and randomly select from there. I think that would be good. :D

13. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. That sounds good. As long as we don't go for the top poster again. :haha:

I think we should just set a minimum limit. Let's say 1000 in 2 weeks? Is that okay? Or is that too much/little? :think:

14. Chai

But that also present another problem, anyone above 1000+ wouldn't bother posting extra already... :haha:

15. Adrian Wong

Hahah.. That's true. :haha:

Hmm.. How about Ishtim's idea? That's a good one too. :mrgreen:

How about the top 25 in 2 weeks? Or should it be the top 50? Do we even have so many active posters? :think:

16. zy

top 25 sounds fine.. :p ...

17. Chai

But Top 25 means that only 25 out of 3000 only got chance to win the prizes...

LOL! If we are taking the top 25, 1/2 are not even active anymore! :shock: Including Tungstenboy, drab etc... I think Top 50 would be better...

18. Adrian Wong

Eh, no-no.. Top 25 posters in the next 2 weeks. Meaning we count only the number of posts in the next 2 weeks. NOT the total number of posts. :mrgreen:

19. Chai

Oh...that's good idea I think. :mrgreen: But that would mean that people like Viper007Bond may appear again for this contest and disappears...well at least he did come back recently. :D

20. Adrian Wong

Okay, then I will start working on the contest. But we are agreed that it's good to have top 25 (and not more or less?) in the next 2 weeks (not 1 or 3 weeks?)?