NVIDIA GeForce To Quadro Soft-Mod Guide

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, May 9, 2008.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I wouldn't go with anything newer than a G80 graphics card. That's your safest bet.

Well, if you really want to soft-mod your card, yes, get an older card. After all, that's really the same thing NVIDIA is selling you for hundreds of dollars EXTRA.

But first, take a look at the successful cases in the article... and the applications that benefit from the soft-mod.

2. pedrodla

pedrodla Newbie

I was reading everything here, but there are too many posts, I didn't finished yet!

The best card for softmod is the 8800 Ultra? (guess is the TOP G80)

There's no reports of people modding card with cores newer than the G80s, right? Or is there any chance around?

Have you ever read anything comparing 1 cards of each type in the same price range? I mean, something like 8800 modded, FX1700 and GTX260.

Thanks for your help mate!

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  3. Adrian Wong

Better than G80? Not that I know of...

No, no one has done that, AFAIK.

4. pedrodla

pedrodla Newbie

So, if the G80 is the last chipset that can be modded, the 8800 Ultra is the best card for modding?

Cause I looked at that table on Wikipedia and looks like the 8800 Ultra is the most powerfull card with G80 core..

5. Adrian Wong

Yes, I would go with the 8800 Ultra or 8800 GTX.

6. pedrodla

pedrodla Newbie

FX1700 vs Modded FX4600

I saw in the last page of the article and noticed that an original FX1700 is 2x faster than a FX4600 modded card.

Considering the prices:

FX1700 = US$ 379 - Amazon

FX1800 = US$ 396 - Amazon

FX3700 = US$ 540 - Amazon

The 8800 Ultra and GTX it's harder to find, but the price is around US$ 250.

Considering that the FX1700 has 2x more performance than a 8800 Ultra, would be better having an original FX1700, FX1800, or maybe try a FX3700, than softmodding an 8800.

Than I just wanted to know if the FX1700 can perform OK in games. Considering that the heaviest game I played was Assassins Creed, and it ran perfectly (for me) in my 8600m GT.

I was looking at that Wikipedia comparison table and the performance difference between FX1700 and FX1800 looks huge, but the difference between FX3700 and FX3800 is not so big.

I started to considerer buying a FX1800 for US$395 or FX3700 for US$510.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for you help again!

7. Adrian Wong

It all depends on whether you need the card more for work, or play. It sounds like you do more work than play, and therefore, it would be better to just get a real Quadro.

The Quadro FX 1700 is essentially a slower version of the GeForce 8600 GS so it's pretty slow. The Quadro FX 1800 is equivalent to the GeForce 9600 GT/GSO, and much faster than the FX 1700. If I have to choose between the two, I would go with the FX 1800 for sure.

The Quadro FX 3700 is like a slower version of the GeForce 9800 GT. I'm not sure if it's worth paying so much extra for it. But it's up to you. If drawing speed is important for your application, and you can afford it, why not? If not, I say take the FX 1800 instead.

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  8. cmulder

cmulder Newbie

What's the best card in the $100 to $150 range that is moddable and which Quadro does it mod to?

9. Adrian Wong

That's a tough question to answer since I don't think you can get a new G80 card. If it's second-hand, then the price depends on the seller's motivation and the buyer's bargaining abilities.

If you want the best G80 card you can mod, try the GeForce 8800 GTX / Ultra.

10. cmulder

cmulder Newbie

Is the GTX a closer match to the FX 4800 or the FX 5500?

11. Adrian Wong

12. samGT

samGT Newbie

i have a Geforce 9500GT,1Gig DDR2 card but i don't know why i cant softmod it into quadro. the required options are not in Rivatuner. i had previously softmoded a 7300GT successfuly. i have tried both xp and windows7. anyone knows how i can do it for 9500GT? should i download a specific driver version?

13. Adrian Wong

I don't think you can mod any card after the GeForce 8 series. :(

14. HDReality

HDReality Newbie

hi all im new here
    i dont now if my GTX 470 work like Quadro my ID in GPU-Z
    "NVIDIA_DEV.06CD.01 "

any body help me :rolleyes:

sory for my english

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  15. Adrian Wong

No, I don't think the GTX 470 can be soft-modded. :(

16. HDReality

HDReality Newbie

thank you my friend Adrian Wong
    but i have another graphic card is it :
    NVIDIA_DEV.0610.01 = "NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GSO"
    Can safe-mod or not :pray:

17. Adrian Wong

Unfortunately, no. That card uses the G92. I believe the last GPU to be moddable is the G80 series.

18. cg1

cg1 Newbie

8800 GTX

Hey, I have modded an 8800 gtx to quadro. I tried the FX 4600 first and noticed minimal improvement and then tried the FX 5600 and noticed a huge improvement.

I am using solidworks and the even tho I have had improvement I can't enable realview. I have modded a card on a laptop using the same technique and I can use realview on that machine. I am trying to rememeber if I used a modded INF from laptopvideo2go last time. Are the latest quadro drivers designed to interfer with these mods? Should I try an older quadro driver?

Any ideas?

19. Adrian Wong

You should probably try the older Quadro driver and see if it works.

20. ginnz

ginnz Newbie

wow.... this is a spectacular thread. i have a 320 mb 8800 GTS sitting in my drawer. i should try this on it.

turn it into a "Quadro" and throw it on flea-bay...... ;)