NVIDIA GeForce To Quadro Soft-Mod Guide

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, May 9, 2008.

1. 2dhipoo

2dhipoo Newbie

Verification that modern video cards not moddable?

Apologies for bumping what is possibily now a closed thread, but can anyone please verify if modern geforce cards cannot be softmodded to quadro emulation?

I followed the guide but like others more recently, nvidia has removed the geforce naming from the inf. I have a GT 420 which GPU-Z says is a GF108 and device ID of 10DE - 0DE2. AutoCAD 2011 often runs like a pentium 486 with an S3 Virge :shock: Forceware 275.36 lists the strings as follows:

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yes, as far as I know, NVIDIA has closed this avenue for modding current GeForce cards to Quadros. :(

3. 2dhipoo

2dhipoo Newbie

RIP Soft-Mod Quadro, Force PowerMizer

Thanks Adrian. I appreciate it.

For anyone in the future who stumbles on this post and doesn't want to resort to buying a Quadro card, there is a way to get a substantial boost in performance by forcing the PowerMizer to maximum performance. I noticed my default clock speeds should be 700Mhz (GPU), 800Mhz (Memory) and 1400Mhz (Shader).. but they were actually running at ~405Mhz, ~324Mhz and ~810Mhz even while using a demanding application like AutoCAD.
    default specs.gif
    while running.gif

So, I downloaded "Nvidia PowerMizer Manager" from SomeMoreBytes.com and enabled PowerMizer to maximum performance. I wasn't able to get the backup registry and system restore point buttons in the app to work, so it's best to do that manually in windows (using Win 7 64).

After applying the settings I effectively doubled my clock speeds to what they should be. I can confidently say that 2D performance in Autocad 2011 skyrocketed and I no longer have a half second delay that plagued such commands like polyline with dynamic input.
    after max performance setting and at least 30 min runtime.gif

Good Luck :dance:

4. carlmart

carlmart Newbie

Is anyone trying this emulation on Avid Media Composer?

Avid recommends Quadro cards for editing, and I have a Geforce 9600GT. I wonder what Quadro I can emulate with it and if it will bring me any improvements for Avid editing.