On-board sound or SB Live!?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by 1031982, Jun 13, 2003.

?

Use the...

1. SB Live!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Onboard sound

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Madcap

Madcap Newbie

The board is working fine with the sblive!

Appears you dont have a choice if you want WORKING! sound :)

:wall:

2. popm8

popm8 Guest

solution

The Soundstorm is a good solution (nice & clear sound,maybe not the very best bass ) .
    You can buy an Audigy if you have the money .
    If I would have to choose between the 2 ones , I would preffer my Soundstorm (Abit NF7-S 2.0)

... (very very good price ) ;)

3. Christopher X

Christopher X Newbie

Thats because the bass from the SoundStorm is "REAL" Bass, not just sub-sounds aka FAKE bass! :dance:

4. ASM1

ASM1 Newbie

Also for arguments sake - try the drivers at http://kxproject.lugosoft.com/index.php?skip=1
    on your SBLive. You may notice an improvement in quality over the standard Creative ones - I did, although YMMV. They also seem to be updated a bit more frequently then creative.... although there hasn't been a KX update in a while....

Hope this helps

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hmm... Interesting! Must give them a try. :mrgreen:

6. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I'll try to ask my bro to try :D

7. critofur

critofur Newbie

I heard of some problems with Audigy 1, I'd stay away from that, Audigy 2 supposedly fixed those problems.

But, he already has his soundcard... Since you already have it, why not try both and compare, see which one YOU like better. I heard the SBLive card slows down Windows XP a little bit (more than with previous OS).

8. critofur

critofur Newbie

Re: solution

"not the very best bass" ~ what do you mean by best? Most? You can always use the equalizer...

9. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Soundstorm sounds a lot 'flatter' than SB Live, but SB Live has overbloated and muffled bass.

Equalizer can only balance the sound. Any software equalization is going to do more harm than helping.

10. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

just a thought, feeding out digital signals via optical cables to a pre-amp for decoding and equalization and eventually an amp to amplify the sound to speakers SHOULD be the ultimate solution right? So if using Digital signals... any soundcard will then be the same for sound quality right, if we use the same pre-amp for decoding for this comparison? leaving only cpu utilization as the difference.

?

11. lung

lung Just Started

OT, but...

Suggest you use DOSBox! :) Works with all modern sound cards. No more 'set blaster = a220 i7 d1 t3' manually. :lol:

12. Chai

But I read that some sound cards doesn't not produce digitally accurate sound using the optical out.

13. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

My NForce 2 - Optical out sounds really good through an ONKYO 797 6.1 system.....

Maybe I can take pics of the setup! :think:

14. Chai

I heard NF2 is pretty good...

15. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

WHoa... that's one sweet system!!! PLease post picS!

16. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

do you guys actually use equalizers?

for me. i usually up my trebel to 80% - 90% range while bass to 50% - 60% range.

i'm not the bass kinda guy, but of course i have a decent bass level to meet. :p which reminds me, i've not yet test out my NF2 sound (Epox 8RDA+).

i was using my NF7-S sound but then it's sound system had problem, even after i RMAed.

17. Chai

I use unaltered, flat sound. Software equaliser will ruin the sound quality. :)

18. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Esspecially Winamp's equalizer :wall: :lol:

19. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

i use the bass & trebel setting on my Altec Lansing speakers..
    using the realtek AC97 chip + intel i865 chipset

bass will be normal while treble will be higher :p
    i dont like too heavy bass at low volume .. hehe

hehhee..

but this older PC with SB Live... i never up the bass... coz using lousy speakers.. :p
    uping the bass will ruin the sound quality :p
    but treble is OK .. :p

20. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

No offense but AC97 is crap :haha: Even the C-Media 8738 sound card is a thousand times better than it :haha: :haha: