Opteron 939 - w00tness!

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by Papercut, Sep 26, 2005.

1. werty316

werty316 Newbie

Holy crap that one insane OC; great work Papercut :beer:

2. smut

smut Newbie

My 144 is an '06 stepping and its at 2.9ghz at 1.4125, almost stock volts.

Stepping is CAB2E 0602DPGW btw. Was bought a few months ago.

3. rocketmen2k5

rocketmen2k5 Newbie

Are Opty's better than say a 3800+ dual ?
    I'm trying to find a AMD cpu comparison chart but I don't see the Opty's listed.

4. werty316

werty316 Newbie

For overclocking yes; the 165 and 170 are just kickass; plus opterons have a larger cache.

For example:
    3800+ X2----2.0GHz with 1MB cache.
    Opteron 165-1.8GHz with 2MB cache.
    Opteron 170-2.2GHz with 2MB cache.

Plus in Canada where I buy my stuff the Opteron is about th esme price of a 3800+ X2.

5. rocketmen2k5

rocketmen2k5 Newbie

I was all set to buy a 3800+ or a 4400+ but after what I read even what a 144 Opty will do with a little o/c it looks like I'm sold on the 144.
    If a 144 will oc just as high as the Opteron 165-1.8GHz with 2MB cache and a Opteron 170-2.2GHz with 2MB cache is there any advantage with going to the 165 or 170?

6. werty316

werty316 Newbie

Opteron 144 and 146 are single core.
    Opteron 165 and 170 are dual core.
    Sorry I should have mentioned this.

7. zachig

zachig Newbie

Sometimes I wish I had an Opty 165 (or 170) instead of my X2 3800+, which seems like a pretty mild overclocker...

To be accurate it's not even "mild", I personally got a "bad" stepping, I guess, so my X2 3800+ personally overclocks pretty badly...running stable at 2.4GHz (240x10), with Vcore of 1.5V (I could run it stable at 2.6GHz, but with a crazy Vcore of 1.6V!!!)

8. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

if i were you, i would be very happy with the X2.
    dual core rocks :thumb: give me a 3ghz opty / 2.2ghz X2, I would still pick the X2.

unless you are a serious gamer.

what board/PSU/cooling/RAM are you running?

9. werty316

werty316 Newbie

Another draw back is that zachig bought it 2nd hand and who knows if the 1st owner abused it. That could be why it doesn't OC'd as well as others. It could be a stepping too.

I think he has a EVGA NF4-SLi board, OCZ Modstream PSU 520W, CM Hyper 6+, and 2x1GB OCZ XTC ram.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2006
  10. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

I doubt that CPU abuse will manifest itself in poor overclocking...more likely a removed IHS, bent pins, etc etc :lol:
    I'm thinking that the previous owner might have sold it simply because it didn't clock terribly well :haha:

Btw, you 2 know each other pretty well eh...I see you guys on various other forums when they're having contests too :haha:

11. zachig

zachig Newbie

Exactly what Werty stated:

EVGA NF4-SLi board, OCZ Modstream PSU 520W, CM Hyper 6+, and 2x1GB OCZ XTC ram

To be honest...I'm pretty satisfied with my current setup, and hey, it's overclocked pretty nice to 2.4GHz. :D

I guess I'll keep it that way and won't tweak it anymore...:roll:

Now, I'll be working on getting a new Video Card, hopefully a nice 7900GT (or even 7900GTX), since I just found out that Tomb Raider Legend is a bit laggy with my current 6800GS (with everything set to "HIGH" at 1280x1024. Even at 1024x768 it is a bit "slow"...). :?

12. I guess they're trying to throw their "nets" as far as they possibly could!! :haha:

13. zachig

zachig Newbie

Come on guys ;) , I'm just trying my luck, like everyone else (OK...maybe a bit more than everyone else :haha: ).

14. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Lol don't worry, I'm not saying anything bad. After all, the fact that I saw you guys there means that I was also trying my own luck :p

15. zachig

zachig Newbie

np. ;) So...GOOD LUCK on the current and future contests to come...:D

I hope you'll get lucky as us...:wave:

16. Aion-X

Aion-X Newbie

Umm, is Opty work better with new DFI bios 3/29?

17. zachig

zachig Newbie

I've heard so...but I'm not 100% sure. :?

18. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

I'm still using the BIOS that my board shipped with, 623 :shifty:

19. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

im using the alpha BIOS :lol:
    I don't OC my ram. so doesnt matter much :lol:

20. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I really like the new bios (406) for the DFI NF4 SLI-DR. :D