Over-Clock Help

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by balltripii, Feb 23, 2008.

1. balltripii

balltripii Newbie

Built a rig that works just fine, but would like to get more out of it. During DVD rips, or coverting it uses all my CPU. I've tried overclocking with no sucess. Locks-up everytime on reboot, with the smallest modification.

Computer info below.

System Information report written at: 02/22/08 22:48:42

[System Summary]
    OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium
    Version 6.0.6000 Build 6000
    System Model System Product Name
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6550 @ 2.33GHz, 2331 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 1903, 7/20/2007Motherboard P5LD2
    SMBIOS Version 2.4
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6000.16407"
    Total Physical Memory 3,070.56 MB
    Available Physical Memory 1.58 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 6.18 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 4.78 GB

Any help would be greatly appreaicated.

Thanks
    balltripii

2. werty316

werty316 Newbie

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

You should overclock in small steps. Try changing the frequency in steps of 100 MHz... avoid changing the multiplier just yet.

4. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

and also got a good cooling system to reduce the heat generated!

5. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Thats very important cooling is the key for O/Cing. Will keep you posted as I will be doing this myself balltripii as I am building a system with the same CPU. This one and most Intel Duos O/C very well have seen the E6550 @ 3.7G stable and the E2140 hitting near Q6600 benchmarks.

Will keep you posted here and another thing I have noted is a good mobo my ASrock board just didn't cut it. I am using a GA-X38-DQ6 now and should have this up and running soon. will post and check back :thumb:

6. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Excellent advise :thumb:

Also bringing up an issue with Gigabyte boards and the Conroe CPU not sure if it affects ASUS or the BIOS they use.

Look at note 0803 in the bottom half I had to do this for my OCZ Reaper X ram. It has to do with the Conroe using 1333 fsb and the DDR2 speed.

http://xtreview.com/images/core-2-Duo-e6550-03-oc.png

7. balltripii

balltripii Newbie

Over-Clock A Sucess

Thanks werty316:thumb:

The information given, explained a few things, even though, I didn't change the way I was trying to over-clock. I don't know how other motherboards are, but the Asus P5LD2 allows a person to over-clock several different ways, two ways are
    a) Manual - allows you to individually set parameters
    b) AI -allows change from a percent. 5% to 30% increase

Since, I do not know alot about the manual parameter part, I choose to use the AI and increased the system by 10%. I havn't attempted to go increase further yet. and the system seems to be stable.

Information purposes:
    Changed FSB 888/DDR2-667 to FSB 1333/DDR2-667 then to Over-clock at 10%

Could someone now, tell me a good way to find out the increase in speed if any, and if what I did was a good idea?

8. werty316

werty316 Newbie

I suggest you overclock "manually" so you have full control on the settings you want to run.

General rule of thumb with Intel rig: increase the FSB to overclocking you system (minus your video card of course). Depending on the speed of your memory and depending on how far you can push them you might or might not need to use a memory divider.