overclocking... what else...

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by sham255, Nov 23, 2002.

1. sham255

sham255 Newbie

i need to know.. my p3 is set to 133x6.5 which equals to roughly about 866 MhZ.. is it possible for me to overclock it further...?? :roll:

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

It really depends on your luck. Not all processors overclock the same. So I'm afraid you have to find that out yourself.

You can list out your system specification, see your parts are capable of overclocking.

3. PY 222

PY 222 <b>DF King</b>

I would think that if you have enough cooling, you can get pretty far but of course as Chai said, it is also luck that will play an important role.

If you want that extra edge for overclocking CPUs, go ahead and try out a water cooling setup. More expensive but you can get the ooomph that you normally cannot get with air-cooled. ;)

4. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

866 MHz eh? I o/c one before up till 1Ghz without any stability problems!!! :D that's running 150Mhz. of course, get good rams and provide good cooling.

and... wish urself a whole lot of luck but the chances are, u'll easily reach at least &gt; 950Mhz

5. elton

elton WhAtSuPdOc

Is i din mistaken it also depend on the factory that make the chip, as chai said not every chip will do... And also all will o/c until the same highest speed hehe :)

6. PY 222

PY 222 <b>DF King</b>

That is very true when it comes to AMD processors but I have never heard of that being true for Intel processors. It could be because Intel have a more mature manufacturing process. ;)

7. Chai

It applies to Intel as well. I still remember my Celeron 300A barely hit 450, but other are hitting 504 easily. And my Celeron 566 hits 850, but other are getting 1GHz! :D

8. peaz

Yep, i totally agree with PY222. When an Intel chips can o/c, your most probably can too... it's only the extreme speeds that is determined by ur luck.

As I said before, I have seen quite some number of PIII coppermine that can really o/c. So i think your's really can too.

Just FYI, i've pushed the PIII 866 up till a 160 MHz before.... had ram instability problems as the system only had kingston memory, cannot push more than 150Mhz even at Cas 3. Other than that, the PC boots easily.... and that's only with a Vcore +1.0V from default and 'good-enough' cooling! :D

9. elton

elton WhAtSuPdOc

I still think that intel is not mean for O/C. As i intel guy told me that, they concern about the speed also, but in a stable way :) They having a new technology, i forget it name alreday. It will implement on the new 3.06G CPU....

10. PY 222

PY 222 <b>DF King</b>

Hyper-Threading?

Well, anyway, good luck to you in overclocking. Even though I am not a major fan of O/Cing, I still do it sometimes.

IMHO, I would prefer stability over speed anytime of the day or night.

11. elton

elton WhAtSuPdOc

I just feel that CHIP will outdated in 2 years time... So just clock it, once rosak is time to change a new chip, coz is outdated..:) All the best for your o/c

12. Chai

I've overclocked all the processor since my K6-2, and thanks to Adrian, I've been extremely addicted to overclocking! :D

13. PY 222

PY 222 <b>DF King</b>

Now, that is very unhealthy. Maybe you should seek professional help ;) ;) :p

14. elton

elton WhAtSuPdOc

hahah a lot of o/c around u know hahhaha :lol:

15. Chai

lol! Adrian is the 'professional'. He can help us. :D
    Time to overclock my brain as well.

16. peaz

Adrian o/c basically EVERYTHING!!! :p LOL

ah... as for o/c, Intel will always be intel lah... they are concern of stability, life span... etc... but basically. how many of us use the same chip after 3 years????

and who said intel is not meant for o/C ???? in fact, i think in overall.... intel history in chips have been VERY VERY overclockeable!!! take the pentiums, celeron A, Celeron II, P3 coppermine, tualatins, and of course the P4 1.6a and 1.8a.... super super overclocking man... not to mention rock solid stability also even after overclocking thanks to superb chipset quality.... those were the BX days lar...

AMD... well, only some batches are o/c-able... not all.... even for the chips with same clockspeeds.....

17. elton

elton WhAtSuPdOc

Adrian is the man la !!! Okok all is o/c able hahaha... But intel so expensive once kong habis lohhhhh :lol:

18. peaz

Have you ever seen an Intel chip dead because of overclocking?????? :D me. never man....

19. PY 222

PY 222 <b>DF King</b>

I personally burnt one AMD processor. Ha..... but then again, AMD has always been known to build really HOT processors. ;)

20. peaz

Ah.. i've also seen dead cyrix 6x86 chips before :D... haha a long long time ago