Overheat

Discussion in 'Notebooks & Mobile Devices' started by lee_what2004, Dec 15, 2008.

1. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

Ok, here I got my friend's notebook, her hdd just died and replaced a new one, reinstall windows then i just realize that the notebook really hot(she said since bought already hot).
    The spec is
    2 years old notebook Acer 5563NXWi
    core duo t2400 1.83GHz
    ATI radeon mobile x1600
    bluetooth, wireless 3945abg, etc

running orthos for around 10 minutes it will shoot up to 96 celcius and then shutdown
    for now I have tried to undervolt it, on the multiplier 11x running @0.965v, tested with orthos for 2 hours, no shutdown, with cooler, temp at 72 celcius
    while the 8x @0.95v (that the lowest it allowed)
    let it cool down, run orthos without cooler with go up till 90 celcius in around 12 minutes.
    even I let it idle, it still remain at 59-60 celcius which still too hot for me.

any idea to workaround more?
    other than open the notebook and clean the dust, since this notebook, almost the same with mine, need to open everything till the last screw just to access the fan :faint:

2. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

Is the fan working?

3. lee_what2004

I can feel the hot air coming from the side ventilation.
    should be working :think:

4. kayFX

kayFX Newbie

last week my ACER acting like that.. being an ACER a cheap laptop and a few of my customer come to me ask to check their ACER i did notice their screws always loose and disappear.. last week i open bare my laptop and found my missing HDD screw inside the processor fan.. :shock: i feel the hot air before but the fan wont move.. the fan stuck like stone there.. i remove the screw and recheck all the screws ensuring its all tighten up.. a tiresome job just to check the fan have to open the whole casing.. :faint: but believe me, the screw maybe the culprit.. if its not holding your fan, maybe the heat sink screw not tight enough..

5. lee_what2004

talking about loosen screw, I found one extra screw stuck on my left speaker :shock:

so the only way is to open it?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  6. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

vacum the hole... hehehe

But.. ACER repair guys work are shabby. The other time they gave a corrupted supposedly "New" battery. Everytime plug in the notebook it say not compatible battery bla bla...

So I would suggest bring back to the ACER repair guys

Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  7. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

The fan may not be working. The heat generated by components in the notebook will be hot enough for convection to generate enough air flow for you to feel at the exhaust vents.

IMHO, if it's still covered under warranty, send it back and have them look at the cooler. It's almost certainly not clogged with dust unless the notebook has a particularly bad design. IMHO, the fan's probably dead... :(

kayFX may have a point. The fan may not be able to move (probably since day 1) because of something as small as a misplaced screw. :wall:

8. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Always send back to manufacturer if it's not working as intended. Notebooks should not overheat under normal operating environment.

9. lee_what2004

any idea how to check the fan is not working?
    put ear close enough to hear it?

10. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

If it overheats, the fan's almost certainly dead. Notebooks are not designed to overheat. They may feel hot to touch sometimes but the CPUs should never overheat.

11. kayFX

kayFX Newbie

i open my notebook coz no warranty anymore.. i change HDD then notice the missing srew.. dunno where it went so i ignore it.. dunno how it end up in the fan.. :shock: the fan was not moving at all that time.. im not satisfied coz my laptop only work fine when the air conditioner is on so i suspect something is wrong coz it shut down after 5-10 minutes without air conditioner.. to my surprise the missing screw ended up there.. if somewhere inside the mobo area my laptop might as well gone.. :wall:

12. lee_what2004

the notebook of course is already out of warranty

I'll take a look of it later
    exam are coming, busy week :faint:

but if running continually for around 60, should be any problem, right? as it already been running like that for the past 2 years

13. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

60C all the time shouldn't be too much of a problem. A bit toasty though.

Here's someone disassembling a 5562. It might be similar to your lappy:
    YouTube - Disassembly Acer laptop

14. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Notebook fan is usually loud when running at full speed. You should immediately notice it when the notebook is under load and heats up.

15. lee_what2004

at least for now, her notebook's fan is working as got hot air coming out and sound of the fan. just confirmed it :)

any other suggestion?

p/s. since I bought mine, I never heard my notebook fan sound :haha:

16. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

anlternative method, buy a notebook cooler.

i'm using a notebook cooler coz my M1210 fan doesnt seem to do a good job at cooling. it doesnt seem to kick into high speed whenever i need it (can be done via 3rd party software but its dmn noisy to run at fullspeed).

even in cold weather (air cond like temps) my laptop was able to over heat after 10 minutes of playing games.

probably i will send it to dell for check up .. hmmm

17. kayFX

kayFX Newbie

third party cooling solution might solve the problem..

18. lee_what2004

Those above temp is with coolermaster notepal infinite
    idle at 60C max at 72C
    but that's my cooler :D

using hers, with just browsing, can only maintain cpu at 70++ and hdd at 46C
    time to upgrade cooler?

19. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

One of the All-In-1 PC was shutting down when I was doing stuffs to it. Opened it up, on it, checked whether the heatsink fan's running. It did. :doh:

Then I open up the heatsink fan and applied thermal paste to both the south bridge and CPU which normally isn't needed at all. It's been working fine ever since. :mrgreen:

20. lee_what2004

yesterday just met other friend who apparently have the same model of notebook, and I checked it, it have the simillar temp, I guess its the nature of this notebook

Had opened it up and applied thermal paste, reduced around 5 - 8C
    but still hovering around 50++C for the cpu

kinda shame can't get it down till 38C :o