[p4p800] sata driver bios settings?

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by pietjo, Sep 14, 2008.

1. pietjo

pietjo Newbie

Hello everybody,

Firt off all , sorry for my bad english but i'm dutch,

I'm preparing my pc for a clean install. I want to install it perfectly now. I use 2 sata disks:

Maxtor 6Y160M0 (160gb, 7200 rpm sata)
    Samsung SP1213c (120gb, 7200 rpm sata)

And is use NO RAID

What's best to use, the intel or promise controller. My friend said to use the intel controller. But wich driver i need to load during the intall of xp? An what are the best bios settings Enhanced mode / compatible ? [P-Ata+S-ATA] / [S-ATA] OR [P-ATA] (do i need to change more things in the bios?)

I hope somebody can answer me so i can start my clean install.

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I would use the Intel controller as it runs directly from the south bridge chip. The Promise controller is probably running off the PCI bus. So it would be better to use the Intel controller. With that said, the difference really isn't that significant.

There's no need to load any driver when you install Windows XP, if you use the Intel controller.

Not sure why you need to select between the SATA and PATA modes. They are two different things. That BIOS setting is only used to disable the SATA or PATA ports for troubleshooting. Just leave it as [P-ATA+S-ATA].