PC dead - interesting behavior

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Ishtim, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

One of our work PCs died (sort of). When I power it up the fans spin, but slowly. No boot. Swapped out PSU and same thing. :think: Ordered re-furb'd mobo and going to swap it out today. Anyone ever see this behavior before? :wave:

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Any beeps? Looks like a dead motherboard. :think:

I had a no boot, no beep situation before, but I don't think it's related. It happened right after I assembled a system -> I accidentally left a screw under the motherboard which caused a short circuit, kicking the motherboard's short circuit protection into action, so it refused to even start up.

3. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

No beeps... :cry: Is there a way to see if this short protection is tripped?

Here's the ironic part... Just got a phone call saying that someone had "bumped" a completely different machine (exact same hardware) while moving a ladder. Now it is behaving the same way. :wall:

The mobo's are GIGABYTE GA-945GCM-S2C. Looks like I have 2 dead in 2 weeks. :faint:

Do you think clearing CMOS is worth a shot?

4. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

Not good... 2 boards dead, but only workstations. I suspect the recent electrical storms must be wreaking havoc. :wall:

5. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Looks like you might have to replace the whole system since the 945 chipset is probably no where to be found, not brand new.

6. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Nope. That's why it took me a long time to figure it out! I had to take apart the system and remove the motherboard before I found the screw stuck to the bottom of the chassis. :wall:

I don't think you have a short circuit though.. In my case, the system just refused to start up. It didn't boot or beep and the fan didn't even spin.

Before you write them off though, I would recommend you try reseating everything, including the SATA connectors. My test system sometimes refuses to boot up because the SATA connectors were a bit loose. Reconnecting them always does the job.