Phenom 9900

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by Cyberwarrior, May 10, 2008.

1. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

My thoughts but have no solid info to be sure ;)

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Why would you want to disable working core, it has to be disabled cores, looking at AMD financially now.

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Actually, they have no choice but to create the tri-cores. With a monolithic quad-core design, they will end up with a bunch of chips that have 1-3 dead cores. Their yields of fully-functioning quad-cores are so low that they either have to price them very high or start selling defective chips to stay afloat.

There should be a rather large availability of chips with 1-2 dead/faulty cores. So, if they are going to sell some of them as dual-cores, why not tri-cores? It will generate some revenue from these partially-defective CPUs.

4. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Makes sense to me like factory seconds at cheaper prices :)

5. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

i look at the pricing for AMD processors, while the tri-core processors are cheap. the quad-core version is actually worth more $$$ per core.

why would anyone want an X3 8450 when X4 9550 is just a like RM 40 extra (around RM 13 USD).

6. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Wow... they are cheap.

But do you think they will still fit on casual AM2 boards (not AM2+ ones). :D

7. Adrian Wong

Yeah, the Phenoms will work on AM2 motherboards.

8. Cyberwarrior

Cyberwarrior BOG Translator

Is that your rabbit????

9. The_YongGrand

As AMD claimed it, of course it'll work! :D

But, as seen from many Newegg reviews, I heard that they have troubles booting up when they put a Phenom into a basic AM2 board even after a BIOS update! Strange... :whistle:

I think the flash rom thing has something to do there, maybe the capacity. Anyone tried that before? :D

10. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

well, if i not mistaken..Not all AM2 mobo supports Phenom (due to some power mosfet thingie)Phenom is using 125 w or tdp(something like that ) can't really recall >_<..Thats why most major brand fails sometimes =/

11. Cyberwarrior

From what I have learned,Phenom needs a + board to run right and also for using 1066 ram.

12. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

well yeah but if you see sites like say ASUS board for like M2N-E, you'll see that it supports PHENOM but also stated 2000MT/s, AFAIK the X3 / X4 goes higher than 2000MT/s.

I'm just not familiar with Phenoms. So does that mean the processors would be forced to run at 2000MT/s? :think:

13. The_YongGrand

Not sure. I don't mind if they are downclocked slightly, but I kinda curious that do people actually test a Phenom on a casual AM2 PC and see what happens? :D

14. Cyberwarrior

CPU runs at 2600,if used on a am2 it steps down to 2000.

15. Adrian Wong

Then it's the fault of the motherboard manufacturer in not ensuring adequate power supply to the socket. The Phenom itself is compatible with the AM2 socket.

16. Midicow

Midicow Newbie

Lacus is trying to recall that a good portion of AM2 motherboards use only three-phase VRM (those mosphets around the cpu socket, count them, one.. a twoo.. a threee!)

The problem with this is that 3phase VRMS are unable to provide the 125watts that the biggest phenom needs to operate.

So make sure you're getting at least a 4 phase, more is better for efficiency.

Edit: for example:
    TinyURL.com - shorten that long URL into a Tiny URL
    those five little black box things !

TinyURL.com - shorten that long URL into a Tiny URL

this one only has a 3 phase, and they're old style mosphets to boot, lol!

17. The_YongGrand

Oh the VRM things... they are the most difficult when they have different processors on the same board.

Just like those boards which have older VRMs for S775 processors, they are just not compatible to any of the Core architecture processors. Older 945 boards couldn't, newer ones could. :D

18. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

Lol, thanks for pointing that out..I'm not sure which mobo actually has more than 4 mosfet.. @goldfries, yeah i think it's something like that.:D