powerDVD XP (4.0) 6 channels problem...

Discussion in 'General Software' started by lung, Apr 4, 2003.

1. lung

lung Just Started

Anyone using this software DVD player? If I select 6 channels in the audio setup, at times the movie will jerk a bit and then the video stream and the audio stream will not synchronise anymore. For example, you can see the person's lips move but the speech comes around 1 sec later...

Doesn't happen if I use 'SPDIF' instead, but SPDIF will not allow me to adjust the volume! :(

2. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

the whole idea of spdif and digital out are that u use an external DAC for processing... volume control is done there!

3. lung

lung Just Started

Okay, but the 'synchronisation' problem? Anyone?

4. peaz

the sync problem occurs because the processor gets loaded with the task of decoding the dobly output...

what processor are u running on anyway???

best for u to use the digital output and let the external 5.1 processor to do the decoding job...

5. lung

lung Just Started

Unfortunately, I don't have an external 5.1 processor... :(

Processor is AthlonXP 1700+, sound card is SB Audigy, video card is GeForce4 4200... Should be fast enuff but doesn't look like it... *sob*

6. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

ehhhh..... even a low end VGA card can play DVDs properly.

anyway so this un-sync problem comes only once in a while? it never happens in 2.1 speaker mode right?

7. peaz

what speakers are u using? how can u use a spdif output if ur speakers dun already have an external decoder right?

:D

8. lung

lung Just Started

It comes halfway thru the movie... And yes, it never happens in 2.1 speaker mode or in SPDIF mode, only when I set it to 6 channels output (5.1)

I don't think my speakers have external decoder... Using Logitech z640s here and last time was on Altec Lansing 295 (2.1 speakers) and still can use SPDIF... Don't ask me how... I think PowerDVD has built-in software decoder for SPDIF? :)