Processors in the market

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by ariyamusafir, Sep 21, 2011.

1. ariyamusafir

ariyamusafir Newbie

Apart from AMD and Intel processors, you have other processors? IS there any non-American processors? What about the motherboards that supports it if any?

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Why? Are you so anti-American that you would actually prefer to use an alternative CPU? Never mind the fact that it's a globalized world and many Intel CPUs are made in Malaysia? :roll:

Well, you can try VIA CPUs... if you can find them. Mostly used in embedded or industrial systems, I expect.

3. ariyamusafir

ariyamusafir Newbie

Not anti-American lah.... Just that all the while, I only know there is 2 processors only.... AMD and Intel, the rest is like never heard before..... IF there is any of course..... and they are dominated by American firms. For Browser, we have the option of having go with the Europe based Opera and others... For anti-virus, we have the option of going to say Avast which is actually Czech Republic... Want to know the options... and the feasibility of using them.

4. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Depends on what are you looking for, there are other processors available for different application, but in terms of running Windows, I can only think of VIA and you most likely have to get a motherboard with a VIA chipset.

5. Vadakyis98

Vadakyis98 Newbie

Intel's Corei7 processor is the most advanced right now, more expensive but it is the "best"
    The Core i7 is a completely new architecture which is much faster and more efficient than the Core 2 Duo. Currently only the Core i7 920, 945 and 965 XE versions are available. Of that the Core i7 920 is available at just $284 which makes it a great buy. It offers better performance than almost all Core 2 Duo processors.

6. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

it depends on the instruction set architecture

for x86, you have AMD, Intel and VIA.

power is mostly by american and japanese.

you have more options for ARM ISA, plenty of them in fact. japanese, korean, taiwanese, american. I'm sure there are a few european makers as well. if you try hard enough, you might find a chinese maker hiding somewhere in qing chong too :haha:

7. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Sorry we own everything... :lol:

8. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

But most of them are made in Malaysia. :p

9. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

10. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

By American corporations. And only because the labor is cheap and infrastructure was established. :twisted:

I "offshore" some of my work too... :whistle:

:p

1 person likes this.
  11. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

offshore sounds so much better than outsource

hahahaha

12. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Which left tons of Americans jobless... :p lol... Let's not get carried away...

13. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

The clones would be mainly Chinese. Loongson is one of them, and they are using MIPS architecture instead.

Long ago it used to be the East German and the Russian who made clones of the 8086/8088/other chips involved and stuff. :)

14. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hehe.. Illegally, I'll bet! :D

15. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

There could be a billion of other 8051 and 6502 clones inside produced in China. I do believe most of the electronic cheap toys and equipments made there are using derivatives of those processors.