[Q&A] Seagate Momentus Hard Disk Giveaway Contest! (Discussion only)

Discussion in 'Contests!' started by Dashken, Aug 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jasperchc

jasperchc Newbie

Althought i still havent use the hdd yet cause i havent got myself an external casing, i'm kinda in a dilemma and need you guys' help.

My notebook currently use an oem seagate 4200rpm 80gb hdd. Do you guys think its wise to switch to the new 5400.2 rpm hdd or should i just use it as an external hdd? will there be any significant improvement performanace wise? what about power comsumption?

Also because i'm not sure what it will do to my notebook warranty if i were to change the hdd cause it'll be a total waste if my 3 years warranty got void. cause the 'warranty void if seal broken' sticker will be torn if i changed the hdd, dont really know how serious that's gonna be if and when i take my notebook to the service center.

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Err.. You can actually find out the performance difference just by reading the REVIEW of the hard disk!!! :haha:

Just in case you are not aware, we actually reviewed it here - http://www.rojakpot.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=240 :mrgreen:

Well, check with your notebook manufacturer about the terms of their warranty. Most companies will only void the warranty of the hard disk if you break the seal for its compartment.

3. aka fatdog6

aka fatdog6 Newbie

figured I would let you know im using mine as an external got a
    2.5 to 3.5 adaptor and a highpoint rocketmate Esata enclosure and
    adaptor and to be honest this thing feels just as fast as my internal WD 8meg 80 gig hdd :D :D :D

4. jasperchc

jasperchc Newbie

hmmm... but thats a comparison between the seagate momemtus 5400.2 and the 40GB fujitsu 4200 hdd, how much performance improvement are there between the seagate 5400 and 4200? :think: Well, i also emailed acer, have to wait and see what's thier reply to my enquiry if the warranty will be void if i change the hdd.

5. Adrian Wong

If the areal density are the same, then the read performance of both the Seagate 4200 RPM and Fujitsu 4200 RPM drives will be effectively the same.

But I have so far tested the Fujitsu 4200 RPM and the IBM/Hitachi 4200 RPM drives and they both performed about the same. So, the 4200 RPM Seagate hard drive should perform roughly about as fast as comparable 4200 RPM drives.

What capacity is it BTW?

That's great. Just remember that there may be different levels of warranty.

For example, BenQ will only void my hard drive's warranty if I break the seal over the cover. The rest of the notebook remains under warranty. But if I break the seal over the screw that allows me access to the keyboard and the WiFi card, that will void the warranty for the ENTIRE notebook.

6. jasperchc

jasperchc Newbie

its a 80gb hdd, and it hasw bee acer has yet to reply my email, bummer :wall:

7. Adrian Wong

Try calling them up. :think:

8. zachig

zachig Newbie

I was just about to post a question regarding when a new contest/giveaway is planned for us, but then I noticed your signature, Adrian. :mrgreen:
    I can't wait for a new contest to begin as I'm missing a little bit of giveaway action. :pray:

9. Adrian Wong

Sorry it's taking so long.. Hehe.. It will be VERY big, I promise. :mrgreen:

But I will all of you to help me make it a very BIG success so we can keep getting sponsors for our contests. ;)

10. zachig

zachig Newbie

Sure, that's absolutely OK. Take your time!

You'll surely get any help needed as the prizes are intended for us after all. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the update. :thumb:

11. MooCow

MooCow Newbie

lol i hope it's good :D

how bout throwing in one of those OCZ rally flash drives? :D

12. Adrian Wong

LOL! We will see. :wicked:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.