Radeon 9800 pro

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by Werne, Apr 4, 2003.

1. Werne

Werne Newbie

Hi! New here and nic to meet u all! I am wondering whether anyone knows when will radeon 9800 pro b available in Malaysia?

2. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

Welcome to ARP :)

What mo-bo you running?

Trin.

3. Werne

Werne Newbie

I will b using the asus a7n8x deluxe.

4. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

ati on a Nvidia chipset..... The "god's" may doom you for that :lol:

Sounds great to me.

5. Werne

Werne Newbie

hey, actually i couldn't catch wat u were tyring to say at first but then i realized that nforce2 is by nvidia, duh!!! haha....ur right! kinda ironic! But there's no way i am gonna get that gf fx card! It would either b the 9700 pro or the 9800 pro depending on the price though......as the NV35 won't be out in a while i think.

Does anyone have any info on when would the radeon 9800 pro b available in Malaysia?

6. Werne

Werne Newbie

oh! n may the "gods" doom me for that!!! haha

7. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

Welcome to ARP Forums, werne!!!

er. nothing wrong with that. i'm using Radeon 9000 Pro on nVidia chipset. now it wouldn't make sense if they make them incompatible. nVidia might just lose market share if people decided to go VIA chipset so they can use ATI graphics card. :)

and when it arrives. you'll know. ;)

8. Werne

Werne Newbie

Well, I would like to know if anyone's got any info on when would the radeon 9800 pro wil b available in malaysia cos i am building a new system and am contemplating on whether to get a 9700 pro or wait until the 9800 pro. Got all the other stuff already just the graphics card left. I asked on another forum and some guys said it would only b available in another month or 2 from now. And i dun think i can't wait tat much longer, just wann buy n hav the parts sent to me.

I am thinking of getting the Gigabyte Maya 2 9700 pro, which is retailing at rm1450 now. Would anyone dealing in pc hardware, like Chai for example have any idea whether there would b a price drop in like 1-2 weeks time for the radeon 9700 pro?

thanks in advance for any info!

9. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

definately WAIT for the 9800 Pro.. no point getting a 6 month old hardware for the same price since it's here in Malaysia right???

10. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I agree with peaz, no point getting 9700 Pro, even if it's a little cheaper. I doubt the price will ever drop less than RM1200. Radeon 9800 will totally replace 9700.

11. goldfries

it all depends on your budget and price diff between the cards. even the R9500 Pro is a good card. but i find the most not-worth buying is still the Ti4600.

12. fuzzy

fuzzy Newbie

Werne, it's quite hard to speculate. Some dealers will be willing to bring in stocks from Singapore or US itself due to self interest or possible clients (yes, there are rich people in KL). I'm quite sure it'll be here between 1-2 weeks after it breaks into Singapore. You'll have to look around for it.

I mgiht be going to Low Yat tomorrow, would you like me to ask the dealers around ?

13. goldfries

hehe. interest is always there, $$$$ is not.

14. Werne

Werne Newbie

hi fuzzy! yeah, it would b great if you can find out anything bout the 9800 pro 128mb version for me. It would b impossible for me to find out as i am studying in milan, italy at the moment! Thanks in advance though......

Well, I would have to agree tat it's certainly better to get the 9800 pro over the 9700 pro but the question remains how long? would i hav to wait 1-2 months more?

Chai also mentioned tat there wouldn't b much of a price drop for the 9700 pro, if tats the case then wouldn't the 9800 pro be retailing at a higer price than RM1500 then?

15. Chai

Yes, it's highly possible that 9800 will be more expensive than 9700.

16. Werne

Werne Newbie

If that's the case, then getting the 9700 pro now wouldn't be too bad a deal, right?

Sorry bout a repost, just trying out the quote option.

17. drab

drab Newbie

Dont waste your money,unless you have bionic eyeballs.the 9600 or ti 4600 is faster than the eye can see already 8) Frame rates 3x faster than refresh rates?Spend the extra on sex or booze(or both) :twisted:

18. Chai

Hahaha, I sort of agree with drab here. :D I won't buy the highest end graphics card. But running max resolution, max detail, 6x FSAA, 16xAF, even Radeon 9800 may struggle abit. There's no such thing as fast enough :D

This price speculation, is just a speculation. I have no idea what is the price going to be. :)

19. drab

drab Newbie

Whatever the price,rippoff for the gullible :twisted: Going to write a book.gullibles travels.Its about a fellow that lands on an island and finds lots of little people with loads of money to buy the latest technology.Trouble is,when they get it home it doesnt work,cos the drivers arent ready yet :roll:

20. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

I bought the g2 ultra when it just came out for only 1 month. (still a n00b that time).
    now I regret so badly.
    biggest regret in my life. :)

I'm still waiting for the next "ti4200", don't really care whether it's from ATI or nvidia. (prefer ATI as I'm bored with nvidia) :) they are smarter now. Instead of just lowering down the clock speed and memory speed, they cut down the pipelines :evil: good move for them, bad for us :evil: