RAM for your gaming pc

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by Qing, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Qing

Qing Newbie

I am new here. Would like to build up a good system..What RAM and graphic card do you recommend for your gaming pc?

Please advise the brands!

Thanks in advance...

2. generalRage1982hrv

generalRage1982hrv ARP Reviewer

hi Qing and wellcome to techARP

it depends on what kind of system are you building
    well in ddr case you need to check what ddr type your mbo mbo uses

if it use ddr 2 i would recomend you OCZ 1066Mhz named Reaper and GEIL Black Dragon (1066Mhz)
    and for gpu
    you could use high end cards like AMD/ATI 4870 and nvidia 9800 (it seams that nv260 and nv280 dose not have much higher performance than this one)
    but even for great performance in lower cost cards you could also use 4850

3. Unixlord

Unixlord Newbie

Any non-OCZ RAM will do fine.

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

LMAO!

But honestly, any RAM will work fine, unless you are overclocking. Just make sure you get at least 4GB. Get DDR800 to be more future proof.

5. generalRage1982hrv

why unix they are good

6. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

It doesn't really have to be vendor specific. :mrgreen: More of whatever fits your needs (price wise, aesthetics, etc).

But some are better than others. I have had great experiences with OCZ, GSkill and Crucial in regards to post sales service.

But in all honesty, what kinda system are you building? What is your budget and what are your preferences?

7. Unixlord

Unixlord Newbie

Unless one is running Vista 64 there's no reason to fork out the extra to get 4GB over 2GB.

I'm going to kick this OCZ excuse for RAM out of my rig and get some G.Skill. That OZC andy fool said it's good ram as long as I don't run it sync with fsb. No thanks, I'll never buy their overrated brand again.

8. generalRage1982hrv

ehhehehehhehehhe do you have vista x32 sp1??
    unix with sp1 4gb is unlocked with vista
    vista x32 is using it same as x64

9. Chai

If his intention is to play games, then running Vista is a wise idea (especially supporting DX10). Since Vista takes a huge chunk of memory, why not go for 64bit instead?

10. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Actually it just shows that you have 4GB installed (with SP1). It will still utilize ~3GBs depending on what other components you have.

The system memory that is reported in the System Information dialog box in Windows Vista is less than you expect if 4 GB of RAM is installed

Memory Limits for Windows Releases (Windows)
    32bit = 4GB total physical.
    64bit = 16-128GB total physical.

Very true. :mrgreen: Vista does run a lot better with 4GB. Plus driver availability shouldn't really be a problem now.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  11. Unixlord

Unixlord Newbie

Actually Vista is extremely unwise for gaming. Maybe that will change one day, but not today.

12. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

How so?

I've been gaming on it for well over a year... :think:

13. Unixlord

Unixlord Newbie

You can do as you please. There are people out there playing fear and stalker with a 7300LE without bricks falling on their head, that doesn't make it right.

14. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Well a 7300LE is not exactly a powerhouse no matter which OS you run it under. :|

15. Chai

Yeah, people have been playing solitaire for 20 years on a 386 running Windows 3.1 and it works fine.

Please, he's asking for recommendation for a gaming rig, Vista is the future, like it or not. If you want to utilise your latest graphics card, you have to use Vista to run DX10.

FEAR is not a new game, and you can't find 7300LE anymore.

RAM is dirt cheap these days. I take cheap 4GB over expensive 2GB DDR1066 anyday.

16. Unixlord

Unixlord Newbie

That was an analogy. Do try and keep up.:nuts:

That's what I said. It may be the future...

Sorry that's nonsense.

This isn't going to be one of "those" arguments, no matter how you try bend the truth. This is my final word on this matter.

On to RAM capacity. There's no such thing as future proof. You want the future? It's DDR3. Well if you aren't going to be able to utilize all 4GB you might as well get a higher rated 2GB RAM, so you'll be able to continue running it 1:1 without the need to stress it/add volts/loosen timings. 8500 or 8000 ram can both fill this role remarkably.

17. Chai

So is mine. :thumb:

18. Unixlord

Unixlord Newbie

That ended up after your post. It was meant for psy. :haha:

19. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

So get 4GB of 1066 (bought mine for 80 bucks). :p

Well for DDR2 800, it is in the price sweet spot. 20-30 bucks for 2GB, 50 for 4GB. It's cheap. Heck even if you don't use all 4 GB, it still more than 2GB.

DDR3 is still pretty expensive. Hence why it isn't recommended yet.

Plus retail Vista comes with both discs. :)

As for DX10 on Vista? Isn't that the truth? Last I looked, it is missing on XP (one could very much apply the why buy 4GB of ram when you can only use 3, with the why buy a DX10 card when you are on 9).3

And no, it's not going to be one of "those" 'arguments'. This one actually has facts on both sides... :p

20. Unixlord

Unixlord Newbie

Simply because current DX10 games offer very little to gain. Assassin's creed looks basically the same, crysis deliberately gimped DX9 to make DX10 look better (which can thankfully be compensated 90% by just editing a few files with a higher net fps). Come back when DX10/Vista isn't just a performance loss for making things look washed out or shinier.