RAM for your gaming pc

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by Qing, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

That's probably because you are still using 2GB RAM.

It was exactly the same story when people are reluctant to upgrade from 512MB to 1GB during XP... :mrgreen: For bascially the same OS with new look.

2. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Exactly why I upgraded to 4GB :mrgreen: 2GB is simply not enough for Vista.

3. generalRage1982hrv

generalRage1982hrv ARP Reviewer

hmmmm well i think i told him something like that

4. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Unix I was anti Vista just as we were all anti XP when our beloved gaming Win98SE2 was threatened from extinction ;)

I am running Vista Ultimate X64 on this machine with 4G of OCZ Reaper X PC8500 RAM and it kicks A** with SP1.

I agree !!

Too the author of the thread we all have our preferences on RAM but as I see it all decent brands have levels of quality. Of the brands mentioned by others saw some great ones there and all depends on what you want to pay for performance :D

5. Unixlord

Unixlord Newbie

No probs. If and when I change my RAM (Which could be soon) I might opt for a 2x2GB kit so I won't have to populate all 4 slots when I actually need 4GB.

6. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Good plan :thumb:

7. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

my recent PC breakdown forced me to use Vista on my X2 3600+, M3A78 Pro and paired it with 2GB RAM (that board is horrendously picky, gonna bash it in the review.........sorry ASUS! when only 3 of my 7 sticks of RAM work - it sucks!)

anyway back to story, i do find Vista Home Basic 32bit rather responsive with my nearly 2 year old setup.

the only thing I haven't try yet, is gaming. :D Currently using the onboard HD3200.

8. Yukirin

Yukirin Newbie

For some reason I felt that my trust for ASUS Motherboard(Midrange) is getting less and less after reading numerous bad reviews from several website. A lot of people mention only ASUS High Performance Mobo will have less/no issue while anything below that will always have issue.(RAM compability issue is not the first time)

Sorry kinda off topic, choices of RAM is very much base on individual preference. Be it DDR800/DDR1066/DDR1333 is all very much depend on how you gonna build and for what usage your PC is build for. Casual Gaming, Hardcore gaming, Hardware Overclocker sadist etc.

For I'm a casual gamer, I only use DDR800 value ram which more than enough to catter my need for gaming. When in future, I might consider getting PNY High Performance ram for OCing. Until then, better keep the money for more priority stuff in life.

I hope all the posts here have answered the Poster question.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  9. empire23

empire23 BRB. Attacking Russia

I has 8gb for my new rig. The only reason i didn't get 16 is because going FBDIMM would be a biatche. So sad. I'm sure Vista and my numerous work programs would have liked it. But hey, if 4gb purrs on my old rig, 8 should be doubly better ya?

10. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

I don't see what 16GB would be good for unless you did heavy rendering/comiling or whatever :shock:

11. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Wow.. I would be happy with just 8GB. Not sure what I would do with 16GB. :think:

But I'm sure I will regret saying that a few years down the road. Hahaha.. :haha:

12. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Talking about RAM for gaming pc

I am using Team Elite 2GB dual channel kit.

When I bought it, it was priced quite similiar with Kingston 1GB x 2 so I rather paid extra RM10 for Team as it comes with heat spreader and can be OC'ed in the future

13. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Get more RAM! 4GB is the way to go now! :twisted:

14. starboykb

starboykb Newbie

yeah go for at least 4gb ram, ddr2 this year are so cheap.:wicked:

15. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

But just to let you know,

The most you can get from the 4GB is 3.2GB only under 32 bit environment unless you are using 64 bit edition of Vista/Xp

16. starboykb

starboykb Newbie

patching the Vista SP1 32bit will resolved reading and using 4GB ram. As far i have check the task manager, it listed 4GB in the resource.

17. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

nope. Still shows 3325MB. At properties of my computer, it will show that the pc is using 4gb.

18. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Why are you guys still using 32bit Vista?

19. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Yes with SP1, it shows the amount of RAM 'installed' not available, yes it shows 4GB, but still 3.2 GB is available only

@Chai, of coufrse still using 32bit Vista, we have games, softwares that can only run in 32 bit environment. Unless you are telling me there are work around that 32bit softwares can run in 64 bit environment or some sort of emulator :D

20. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

i do admit. some stuffs cant run on 64bit vista.

examples., my school VPN client doesnt run on 64bit vista. = i end up using 32 bit.