Router Mysteries

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by Eldanor, Oct 21, 2005.

1. Eldanor

Eldanor Newbie

This is a story about my router.... my router... has ... the most unique problem.... that almost... no one ever heard of... heres wad
    1.I've 2 computers at home connected with a router

2.The first computer has just been reformated and is reunited with the router

3.Router is connected but the 1st computer cant use the net which means , you see everything is connected and running fine just that when you type anything like www.msn.com it doesnt appear and timeouts after a while

4.I left the first comp on and turned the second computer on

5.I found out that both computer can go on the net but the router is connected to the net.

6.I then turned off the first computer

7.Second computer's connection started working again

8.I turned on the first computer again

9.Both computer cant get on the net

10.I turned off the second computer and then turned on the first computer

11.First computer still cant get to the net

P.S: This problem happened before , so this time its a repeat history , it recovered for a few months and then the same thing happened again and it happened on the same time that i reformatted my first computer

P.S2: Also i found out that changing terminals or wadever doesnt work but instead the terminal connected to the first comp is always blinking like mad

P.S3: I no longer consider this anyway in my logics

P.S4: Am i in dipschitt?

1 person likes this.
  2. aKho

aKho beat around the bush

perhaps the router's DHCP server is not set on. perhaps your second computer has already been assigned an ip and subnet mask and since you formatted your first computer, the ip previously set for it is gone.

that would explain why the first computer can't get online, cause it's not set to the same subnet mask as the router nor assigned an ip address.

what router are you using anyway? can you logon to it via internet explorer? or using software?

what OS are you using for both PC's now? did it come preconfigured or did you set up the router connection yourself previously? :whistle:

3. Eldanor

Eldanor Newbie

both pcs are running on winxp ... i reconfigured everything previously but its just port forwarding so i tried restoring the settings but it still didnt work , the problem is the first computer can get online for a small small time and then it keeps showing its uploading stuff but not receiving anything. how do i set both of them to the same subnet mask so that each router is assigned to an ip address?

dhcp server is turned on tho, box checked

help mehhhh
    im using the Aztech ADSL Wireless Lan 4 port ethernet router (DSL305EW)

4. aKho

lets say your router is configured to IP 10.0.0.2 and the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0.

for each PC, go to your local area connection, right-click for properties, double-click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and there you can set your IP settings.

e.g. PC 1
    IP Address : 10.0.0.3
    Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway : 10.0.0.2 <--router IP
    the DNS address would be the ISP your using.

PC 2 would be the same as above except having a different IP address. if your PC's are connected via wireless, then you'll configure those settings in the wireless connection option instead. :whistle:

5. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

not only 10.0.0.2

some routers use

192.168.1.2 .. etc ..

6. Eldanor

Eldanor Newbie

nope, the same problem still persists... wad to do now.. lol

7. aKho

you might want to check if it's infected...
    on the bright side, nothing wrong with your 2nd PC right? :whistle:

8. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

You must make sure both PCs are using different IPs. That's not a problem if you allow it to be automatically assigned an IP by a DHCP server.

Also check the connection you using. Sometimes you may have set a fixed IP for your PCs' LAN connections but that won't work if you are using the Wireless LAN to connect instead.

Best solution would be to check ALL network connections and let the DHCP assign the IPs automatically.

9. Eldanor

Eldanor Newbie

Hmmm sorry adrian but i dont get wad you're trying to say.. lol by the way i tried everything i could think of like resetting cmos to defaults and everything to default but it just seems...... the connection shows that im uploading shitload of stuff up just that im not getting anything and i can get on the net for a few minutes everytime i restart the computer, JUST A FEW MINUTES and that boom it goes Page cannot be displayed. haih im damn frustrated on this already lahhhhhhhh helppppp!!!!!

10. yhng

yhng Newbie

Lol, try resetting the router to factory default. I always had a mysterious problem with my old Dlink router. I just reset and reconfigure it, the bugger works again. My only logical explanation is that it remembered the old settings. This could be your problem since you reformatted your first PC. Worth a try anyhow.

11. Adrian Wong

Errr.. How can I put this. :think:

Every PC must have a UNIQUE IP. It's like an address. It must be UNIQUE, otherwise the router (your postman) won't know where to send the data (letters) to.

To do that, you must fix an IP address for your PCs. The easiest way to do that would be to enable the DHCP server in your router. The DHCP server will automatically assign each PC a unique IP so you don't have to do it yourself.

That's enabled by default, so it won't be a problem for you UNLESS you specifically disabled it. Which makes it a good idea to reset the router if you actually changed something earlier on.

But if you are getting a good connection and then it stops because yo uare downloading a load of stuff on some P2P software, then it could be your router hitting its connection limit.

12. Eldanor

Eldanor Newbie

DHCP is enabled i didnt touch no nothing about that stuff , but then its just that my first computer is having that miserable problem and it only happens AFTER i reformat and i already tried setting everything to factory defaults but it still doesnt work..... wad problem might it be this time i even changed router terminals but it still doesnt work but my second computer is the only one that can only get online bah

13. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Check for firmware upgrades.

14. Adrian Wong

What do you get if you open up a command window and type ipconfig?

15. Eldanor

Eldanor Newbie

first com

second com

edit : wad would updating my firmware do?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2005
  16. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. Is your router's IP 10.0.0.2? :think:

Updating the firmware will potentially rid the router of bugs as newer firmware come with bug fixes and possibly additional features.

17. hyper_raider

hyper_raider shutdown -h now

Both PC has 10.0.0.2 can assume that is the default gateway. Strange default gateway address, i always thought that it should be 192.168.x.x

18. Eldanor

Eldanor Newbie

yeah router ip is 10.0.0.2.... so wad now , update firmware and see if its fixxed? lol. I always tought that my router is gone case but when the 2nd computer can go online and all the terminals are working , i was sure that my router is still fine , but my first computer... i dont think it would be the first computer's problem since i just reformat it and i did nothing to the configurations... so.... wad to do now lol

19. Adrian Wong

Actually, I've seen routers use an IP of 10.0.0.1. But never 10.0.0.2.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with using that. Just wanted to make sure that's the right gateway. :think:

20. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. Try this. Open up the LAN controller properties of both PCs and set them to use a 100mbps connection. By default, it's left to Auto. Change that to 100mbps.

I've noticed that some LAN cards have a problem with the Auto option. :think: