Seagate 7200.8 400GB & 300GB in Japan

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by CleanSerious5, Dec 18, 2004.

1. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I really want to know just how much NCQ would make a difference with these hdds... Not only in paper, but in real world tests too... :think:

2. SAMSAMHA

SAMSAMHA Newbie

many benchmark do show that ncq has improved the time, it's not a huge improvement but it's a little better nonetheless. I think I read somewhere that it helped burst time only.

3. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Really? I gotta read up on this... :?

4. SAMSAMHA

SAMSAMHA Newbie

5. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

6. SAMSAMHA

SAMSAMHA Newbie

no problem, enjoy it.

7. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I expect NCQ to improve performance similar to RAID0, which means it's useless, for us anyway. :p

8. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

It could be.... :think: Coz this is technology that was brought down from server grade hard disks... So I kinda agree with Chai... :think:

9. SAMSAMHA

SAMSAMHA Newbie

well, seems like most new technologies in HD are not really bring much improvements to daily users. I think just like cpu power, the daily users really don't need much higher than what's already offering

10. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

That depends to individuals.. i.e gamers would love all of the power they can get.... :thumb:

11. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Not really...HDD is one of the slowest component of a PC, one of the very few mechanical components. A fast HDD will definitely improve the performance, and users can definitely feel the difference.

If you want good performance, get a fast HDD. That's the only choice...

12. Viper007Bond

Viper007Bond Newbie

13. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Right now, the only ways to REALLY improve the performance of the hard disk is...

1. Increase the spindle speed.

2. Increase the areal density.

14. or maybe make a new way of storing info...i don't know how, but it just might work...

15. SAMSAMHA

SAMSAMHA Newbie

I wonder if the HD really caught up with the rest of the system, would we see that your system perform much much faster than it is now, ie would the current benchmark change at all.

Yeah, the speed of the drive definitely would help, but I think HD has reached to it's technological advances as far as how fast it can push and how much data they can squeeze into that 3.5 dics. I think HD may need to be redesigned a little to make take it into the performance leap that it is seriously needed.

Currently, I think going raid is the only way that one can really improve their performance right.

16. yes, just about, unless you get the higher end scsi for non-commercial use :p :p

17. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

But the thing is that would generally mean more heat though. :think: So that would be a generally something that would hold back the manufacturers from making things faster. They also gotta make it quiet. Faster spindle speeds corelate with noise too... :think:

18. ah, no,they dont HAVE to make it quieter, just better. look at at the raptors

19. SAMSAMHA

SAMSAMHA Newbie

I agree, WD just release a new line of cooler HD, so it's all about how much effert they want to put into developing new technologies.

20. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

That wouldn't appeal to all of the users. People who aren't bothered by loud drives wont be bothered by silent ones. Quieter drives would then appeal to everyone. Why do you think Seagate, Maxtor and WD strive to make quieter drives? They make raptors for the people who dont mind, but they sell a whole lot more of their queiter drives. Imagine a Raptor at your workplace. Imagine HDD sound when ur in a meeting... ;)